Overdrive light flashing - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Overdrive light flashing

Hey guys so Iíve been having problems with my over drive light flashing. About 5 months ago my speedometer wasnít working, my fuel gauge wasnít working and the overdrive light was flashing, and my truck was shifting very hard. Checked all the fuses and ended up finding one of the 15 amp fuses was blown. Changed the fuse and the problem was solved. About 4 weeks ago, i was driving on the highway back up to Jacksonville from west palm beach, which is about a 260 mile trip. A little more than half way, the light came back on and my truck started shifting bad again. So I disconnected the batteries for about 30 minutes and it went away. Now about a week ago the light came back on and was shifting hard again so I disconnected the batteries once again and it went away, but this morning the light came back on and it is shifting hard. If anyone has any ideas or has experienced this recently let me know.

Thanks,
Christian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:53 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Overdrive light flashing

You need to get the transmission codes read.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
You need to get the transmission codes read.

Thanks for the reply man, if I do not own a scanner do you know which one would be a good one to buy? Or where could I take it to have it scanned?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM
PSN Veteran

I can't help you on what scanner to try. From what I have read generic ones don't work for the transmission codes. I am not sure if Auto Enginuity and or Forscan can pull them either. But with the light flashing there is a stored code for the transmission.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
I can't help you on what scanner to try. From what I have read generic ones don't work for the transmission codes. I am not sure if Auto Enginuity and or Forscan can pull them either. But with the light flashing there is a stored code for the transmission.

Do you think I could bring it to a local trans shop and have them pull the code?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:51 PM
PSN Veteran

They should be able to read the codes, mind you I said should be able.

Stick in your zip code and see if there is a ATRA shop near you, they are usually more dependable.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
They should be able to read the codes, mind you I said should be able.

Stick in your zip code and see if there is a ATRA shop near you, they are usually more dependable.

Found a couple in my area, I called 2 of them yesterday and they both said around $90 to run a diagnostic test on it. Does that sound like the right price to have it done?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:14 PM
PSN Veteran

I've never had any diagnostic test done on my truck but 1 hour at shop rate sounds about right. Even if it will only take 15-30 minutes.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
I've never had any diagnostic test done on my truck but 1 hour at shop rate sounds about right. Even if it will only take 15-30 minutes.

Ok, think Iím going to bring it in today, hoping itís not something mechanically wrong with the tranny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode