Fuel injector o-rings ruined by AMSOIL - any experience with this? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fuel injector o-rings ruined by AMSOIL - any experience with this?

Hello. Let me start by saying we are an AMSOIL dealer and have stood behind the product for many applications - specifically their racing oil. However, I'm just sick about a recent occurrence and I'm curious if anyone else has had any actual experience with this. AMSOIL leads me to believe I am the only one and they have drug the warranty claim process out for 3 months, and I'm afraid they are going to stick me with this bill and tell me they are not to blame. They'll let me know next week.

We have a 1997 7.3L with only 119,000 miles on it. We have religiously maintained it with 3,000 mile oil changes since we purchased it at 45,000 miles because we wanted it to last a lifetime.

Last year when we become an AMSOIL dealer, we decided to try all of their products so we could stand behind them to our customers with actual experience and not hearsay.

Last fall we started using the Cetane Boost and All-in-One product for the fuel system. We used it a few times over the course of several months. Then it was time for the oil change in March 2018 so we used their oil and special EA filter.

Fast forward to Memorial weekend 2018. I was on a parts run for my husband before we were getting ready to head to the race track, and the truck died (never done this before) and left me stranded. Our first thought was bad fuel. We parked it until we had time to look at it. After doing some research, I told my husband to check the oil level first before we proceeded with tests on the fuel system. He laughed at me because the AMSOIL oil change was just 985 miles before and there was no way this truck ever burned, leaked, or lost a drop of oil in the 8 years we've owned it. To our surprise, it was 9-1/2 quarts low on oil. ????

We immediately contacted AMSOIL and they told us to send them an oil sample and the EA filter we purchased from them. I waited (and waited) for my results and no one ever contacted me. I emailed for an update and he apologized stating he had forgotten to send it to me. Their results said their oil was fine and there was some fuel in the oil so they blamed it on faulty fuel injector o-rings per the Ford TSB on the subject.

Aha! We immediately notified them to let them know we had already replaced the o-rings 48,000 miles before once we learned of the bulletin and there was absolutely no reason why they should already be bad again - unless AMSOIL somehow damaged them. They want to tell me that people use AMSOIL to fix their o-ring problems and that they in no way have a history of causing problems.

I would like to know if anyone out there has any actual experience to the contrary. Either the oil, the Cetane Boost, or the All-in-One product that all had contact with the o-rings have caused one or more o-rings to fail prematurely. We know for a fact it's the o-rings. We just don't have a little man sitting inside the engine who actually saw the AMSOIL product deteriorate the seals; therefore, AMSOIL has an "out" and doesn't want to pay to fix the problem their product caused.

When you own a truck for so long and know it inside and out and then the only variable that changes causes damage such as this, it seems too coincidental that some outside force just magically caused the low-mileage seals to fail.

Any insight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 04:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Fuel injector o-rings ruined by AMSOIL - any experience with this?

i have never heard of ANY kind of oil wrecking injector o-rings. Im not familiar with the all in one fuel treatment, but thats what i would look at. Put some treatment in a jar, throw an o-ring in it. Watch and see if it has any affect on the rubber.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 05:10 PM
Master BS'er

Agreed. Oil damaging o rings is not very plausible

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 05:32 PM
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4

While I think Amsoil is overrated sh!t, I don't believe the oil was the cause of the o-ring failure, particularly since you had previously replaced them.

Who replaced the o-rings? You, a private mechanic/shop, or dealership? Were OEM/Alliant o-rings used, or cheaper aftermarket ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10mike View Post
Im not familiar with the all in one fuel treatment, but thats what i would look at. Put some treatment in a jar, throw an o-ring in it. Watch and see if it has any affect on the rubber.
You would have to properly ratio the fuel treatment and the fuel to do such a test. But that's a good idea. The pure, undiluted chemical might eat up an oring, but properly diluted with fuel (like a few oz's per 20 gal's) would be a viable test.

Mix up a small amount of their fuel treatment and some clean diesel (in the proper ratio) and drop an injector o-ring(s) in... see what happens. Might take awhile though.

~Al

Al in SoCal
AFE Intake; Garrett 38R; Turbine Jacket; Banks IC, BanksBrake
Melling LPOP, External Oil Cooler & Filter System
Stealth 4-line Twin HPOP,
Swamps 160/30's, HVHF IDM; DP-Tuner F5
Full R-R Fuel System, Pre-& Post-pump filtration
Mishimoto Rad & Tank; 4" Exhaust, Twin Aussie Stacks
SouthBend D-D Clutch; ZF 6-spd, GearVendors O/U Drive
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 06:09 PM
alleged moderator

local spamsoil dealer here used to give e crap about running"junk" valvoline all fleet oil in my truck.
until he had to replace 4 of his 5 engines that he put spamsoil into.
he dumped it all n the trash and switched over to valvoline all fleet.
and never had an engine problem again. he does not run trucks forever like i do, i currently have 594,000 miles on my 88 diesel. 194,000 on the 2002 diesel, and 103,000 miles on the 2014 gas job.
SparkyF250 likes this.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The o-rings were replaced by a qualified repair shop with Ford o-rings long enough ago to know there were no problems with that job.

This was a new problem post AMSOIL

I agree the most likely culprit of the 3 is the fuel additive but to replicate the test would be next to impossible because there would be no pressurized system so all variables would not be exactly as they were in a real-life situation. Not to mention the amount of time required to see results.

I'm just curious if there are any other stories out there since I'm basically being told "too bad" and I know my truck and I know the truth. Sadly all of the search engines are blasted with paid ads or dealer blogs so finding the needle in a haystack seems time consuming. Just though I'd reach out to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

Thanks for your time!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 09:35 PM
PSN Veteran

i know one thing for sure. i would not be a dealer for them anymore.
tjctransport likes this.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 05:13 AM
m j
PSN Veteran

until you pull the injectors and look at the orings you are just guessing.

pics please

1997 F250 rclb 4x4,Comp910s,SRP1.1,Irate T4 s468,FullForce 350/200,efuel A1000 5/8" drawstraw,DI fuel fittings,D60f Detroit,Grizzly10.25,windowed 7.3 Oct 9/14
rebuild .010 riffraff cut pistons,swamps fire ring kit,Girdle,high-filled block,Manley rods,SBC dualdisc,ATI dampner,MorelLifters,MantonPushrods,ColtCam,
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:36 PM

I donít think the fuel additive had anything to do with it. O rings break down and break, who knows if that batch of o rings where made on a Friday. I would just pull all the injectors and replace the o rings with Alliant o rings and drive it. Crap happens.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10mike View Post
i know one thing for sure. i would not be a dealer for them anymore.

They have some really outstanding products in a lot of areas. If mine is that one-in-a-million occurrence, I don't want to judge them too harshly.

However, if they have a known history of a problem with this All-in-One or Cetane boost interacting negatively with this particular component that is not being made public knowledge, then that's a different story.

They have data and tests and to compare. I only have my own personal experience. I know my truth. I do not know theirs.

If their product is to blame and they do not stand behind their warranty, then I would want to know that as well because I cannot tell a customer about a "smooth easy warranty process" if AMSOIL damages their car if it's in fact not a smooth easy process. If a customer is left holding the bag because they cannot prove beyond a shadow of a doubt their case, and AMSOIL leaves themselves an "out" so to speak, then that's also not a fair "selling point" for the product like the dealers are trained to believe. I would feel personally responsible to one of my customers if they were in my shoes right now. I'm just finding myself in an enlightening position of being able to experience something fully before representing it as truth to another.

In my particular situation, I know we changed our o-rings with Ford o-rings 5 years and 48,000 miles ago to prevent a problem like this.
When 3 months and less than 1,000 miles after using a new product for the first time there is something this damaging that happens (to an item that was already changed properly to prevent this problem) then that is almost more than coincidental.
On the other hand, if it is Murphy's Law at work and is not AMSOIL's fault, then I would want to know that as well because I do not want to judge someone improperly.

Unfortunately I am leaning more toward this being more than coincidental. That's why I am looking for impartial viewpoints so both sides are represented fairly. '

I'm just wondering if I'm out of line for thinking that maybe AMSOIL is to blame. Maybe their fuel additives don't work well in a low usage truck that sits more than it drives. . . . Maybe mine is a different scenario than the "norm" or the tests have data for . . . Maybe the o-rings were built on a Friday. . . . Maybe there's no way to prove anything beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I was just curious what other experienced people had to say. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode