1997 7.3 powerstroke slight surge at idle, idles ro ugh, and runs rough HELP PLEASE!!!!!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
1997 7.3 powerstroke slight surge at idle, idles ro ugh, and runs rough HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Ok guys I have a 1997 7.3 f250 HD 4x4 5 speed with 287,000 on clock bug the engine is recently fully rebuilt with about 8,000 on it, It has 8 rebuilt injectors from diesel logic, 6.0 fuel pump, 3” straight pipe and 6637 filter. My problem is a couple things but I think they are all related with one problem, so when I’m idling with the icp plugged in the truck will surge at idle about 100 to 200 rpms up and down And when I’m driving it feels like it has power but it just sounds really rough and not how a obs 7.3 should sound, but when I unplug the icp the truck sounds choppier but it doesn’t sugre and it sounds a lot better on the highway.I have also took the ipr out and rebuilt it trying to fix it. Something else it does is sometimes it will blow white smoke but I stop turn it off turn it back on and it will go back to Black. I have fought this problem for 3 years now and I am so tired of it I just need it to run right for once, I’m going to school to be a diesel mechanic now but I can figure this out myself so much help would be great thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
So yesterday my truck was still running bad so I went outside and started looking for stuff to check, well I found that the ipr tin nut had come off and unscrewed itself so I put that back on and fired it up, when it fired up it kinda stumbled then got up to idling speed sounded a lot better but still sounds like it is missing out or not smooth like it should sound, I ran it on the highway and it ran a whole lot better but still it is not running or sounding like it should, I know my up pipes are leaking the turbo still spools relatively good and wile scream on the highway but I feel like it’s still not running as smooth as it should be running. If someone could help me that would be great and am on my last straw with this truck. Thank you
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Ohh and when I start it now it does like to stumble some but it gets past that, I feel like it is a sensor problem like icp or ipr but I don’t know for Shure because I don’t have a scanner or know how to use one at the moment( still learning)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 03:27 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1997 7.3 powerstroke slight surge at idle, idles ro ugh, and runs rough HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

What's the fuel pressure at idle? Is the truck chipped or have a tuner? Any oil in the ICP plug connection? Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
It is a brand new Icp (it is borg worner though) it has a 6.0 fuel pump so it should be more than stock but I haven’t gotten a chance to check it yet, at idle it sits there and revs up and down about 100 150 rpm
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
And no it doesn’t have a chip in it the only upgrades it has is straight pipe and a 6637 intake
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Well I measured my fuel pressure today and at max with the 6.0 fuel pump it was max at 70 cruising on the highway it was about 55 to 60 and at wot it didn’t get any lower than 45 min.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
I meant it was 70 at idle and didn’t go any higher than that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode