E-Fuel Cold weather prep - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

E-Fuel Cold weather prep

Finished up my efuel mid summer and I was just wondering what i need to do to prep it for the cold winter? Temps usually hover around the single digits for at least a couple weeks here in central IL, with nights into the negs. Is there anything I should be doing to make sure that my pump or filters dont gel up? I treat my fuel all winter, but im a little worried about the pump not being in the warmth of the engine bay anymore. I do not have a fuel heater installed in either of the filters. Thanks in advance.

1994.5 f-250: eFuel conversion, Luk SMF conversion, S&B intake, 3in DP, TS chip, ev2 pyro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 04:11 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: E-Fuel Cold weather prep

Depends on the fuel type in your area. In Western Canada, we have a pretty robust winter grade D2 and Iíve never had a problem with diesel gelling. One of my systems I used an early stock 6.0 HFCM with integrated heater, never hooked up the heater though and never a problem. Check with your fuel supplier before you spend the dough on heater(s). Other two systems stock electric 7.3 pump with Donaldson pre and Cat post filters never a concern.

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4Ē exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 04:30 AM
PSN Veteran

I am sure that Illinois gets winter blended fuel. So odds are you are spending money that you don't need to. But if it makes you feel good continue to do so.

If you want to see what the fuel does put some into a clear jar this winter and then place it into your freezer and watch to see what it does. If it just gets cloudy then it has been treated if you see crystals starting to form then it isn't treated for that low of a temperature.

In the 22 years that I have owned my truck I have never put a anti-gel additive into my fuel and I am at 6500' where it gets down below zero for a few weeks each year and have never had a problem with fuel.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Depends on the fuel type in your area. In Western Canada, we have a pretty robust winter grade D2 and Iíve never had a problem with diesel gelling. One of my systems I used an early stock 6.0 HFCM with integrated heater, never hooked up the heater though and never a problem. Check with your fuel supplier before you spend the dough on heater(s). Other two systems stock electric 7.3 pump with Donaldson pre and Cat post filters never a concern.

j
Yeah most stations around me advertise that they sell blended fuel. Im also running the stock electric 7.3 pump with napas pre and post. if you've never had problems with a similar setup then I am less concerned. Do you treat your fuel in addition to the station treating it, or do you stick with what they give you? like you said im sure up by you the fuel is treated pretty well straight out of the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
I am sure that Illinois gets winter blended fuel. So odds are you are spending money that you don't need to. But if it makes you feel good continue to do so.

If you want to see what the fuel does put some into a clear jar this winter and then place it into your freezer and watch to see what it does. If it just gets cloudy then it has been treated if you see crystals starting to form then it isn't treated for that low of a temperature.

In the 22 years that I have owned my truck I have never put a anti-gel additive into my fuel and I am at 6500' where it gets down below zero for a few weeks each year and have never had a problem with fuel.
wow that is impressive. I always have treated my fuel here but mostly because I dont always fill up at the same station. I will find a station that i know sells good treated fuel and stick with them all summer. Are you running the stock fuel system? My concern after going to efuel is that the pump and filter setup do not have the residual heat from the engine bay.

1994.5 f-250: eFuel conversion, Luk SMF conversion, S&B intake, 3in DP, TS chip, ev2 pyro
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 AM
PSN Veteran

Ya, I am running the stock system.

But look at it this way. If the fuel does gel it will also gel in those steel or rubber fuel lines.

I have had a gelled up truck many years ago way back in the late 70's. We had to tarp the whole truck and put a propane heater under it to clear up all the fuel lines and tank.

I just wouldn't sweat it that much. If you are putting fuel treatment into the fuel and not trusting the stations you should be good to go. I've even parked my truck at 10,000'+ and let it sit a couple of day at well below zero while ice fishing and staying in a cabin at the lake and have had no problems starting the truck using untreated by me fuel.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 04:54 AM
PSN Veteran

When I had my 7.3, I ran mark's kit.
No trouble. I can't say exactly how far, to -10 for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thanks all for the help. ill just go ahead and treat it same as i have been and keep an eye on it.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 08:57 PM
alleged moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post

same here. back in 89 or 90 i got a batch of summer fuel one really cold winter and had gelling issues at around 10 below but a half gallon of 89 octane gas poured in the tank to thin it out and 1/2 hour with the salamander heater blowing under the truck took care of that problem.
other than that one time, i have never run additives in the fuel, and never had problems in the winter in over 45 years of running diesel powered trucks, both large or pickups.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
same here. back in 89 or 90 i got a batch of summer fuel one really cold winter and had gelling issues at around 10 below but a half gallon of 89 octane gas poured in the tank to thin it out and 1/2 hour with the salamander heater blowing under the truck took care of that problem.
other than that one time, i have never run additives in the fuel, and never had problems in the winter in over 45 years of running diesel powered trucks, both large or pickups.
This is my main concern. I think its a hit or miss for stations around here to have decently treated fuel, or that even treat their fuel at all. But I can work on finding a place nearby that I know treats it well or ill continue to treat myself. Thanks for the insight.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:48 PM
PSN Veteran

It would be uncommon for a station to treat the fuel, they usually treat it before it goes into the tanker for delivery.

Just do the test that I suggested a few post ago as it gets colder and see what the fuel does. I actually believe that you are worrying too much about this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode