Newb with a fuel leak in the valley - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Newb with a fuel leak in the valley

I Just bought this truck about a month ago and noticed in the last couple weeks that I can smell a faint trace of fuel after parking the truck. Looks like I have fuel pooling in the valley and also running out the drain hole on the back of the motor, causing the fuel to run down my transmission pan.

The banjo bolt seemed to have a little fuel on it when I ran my finger along the underside of it. I soaked up the pool under the banjo bolt on the fuel pump, but there is also a pool under the fuel bowl. I couldn't get to that pool last night to soak it up, but i'm going to give it another try tonight. I also ran my finger under the fuel bowl drain lever (yellow lever shown in the photo) and there seemed to be a drop of fuel on the underside of that yellow lever. Is this a common place for fuel leaks? I have heard the bottom of the drain valve assembly being somewhat common, but to fin fuel up that high kind of surprised me.

The truck has 213k miles and it seems everything is still original, so it may just be time to tear apart all of the fuel components in the valley and replace the orings and seals from dieselorings, but I just bought the truck a month ago, and I am not super excited about tearing down the fuel system already.

That is all of the bad news, the potentially good news is that I thought it was the tranny leaking at first glance when I saw the fluid all over the pan. and there seems to be some seepage/grime accumulation under the crank seal in the front of the motor... My hope is that all of this is coming from the fuel leak, rather than a motor oil leak and a tranny leak... I'm grasping for a silver lining haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel bowl.jpg (15.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg motor1.jpg (20.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg body1.jpg (23.5 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 PM
PSN Local

Re: Newb with a fuel leak in the valley

Several possible places for fuel leaks in the valley. The Orings on the bowl drain are a good possibility as well as the oring on the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator where the steel line goes in. You could also be leaking around the rubber lines between the bowl and the fuel pump. There's a crush washer between the banjo bolt on the pump output that can leak as well as the pump itself. There are also some viton rubber sleeves on the fittings where the hard fuel lines connect to the adapters to feed the rear of the heads. The best thing to do is to wipe everything as best as you can and see if you can find where the fuel is either seeping or spraying out. If it's dripping off the banjo bolt, check the weep hole on the pump to see if it's leaking there. If so, replace the pump. The first place I'd look is the short rubber lines between the bowl and the pump, be sure they aren't cracked. If they are cracked and you have to pull the bowl to replace them, it would be a good time to just reseal the entire bowl at the same time you replace the hoses. Diesel Orings has a kit for that as well as the short blue pieces of hose for the bowl to the pump.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondave View Post
Several possible places for fuel leaks in the valley. The Orings on the bowl drain are a good possibility as well as the oring on the bottom of the fuel pressure regulator where the steel line goes in. You could also be leaking around the rubber lines between the bowl and the fuel pump. There's a crush washer between the banjo bolt on the pump output that can leak as well as the pump itself. There are also some viton rubber sleeves on the fittings where the hard fuel lines connect to the adapters to feed the rear of the heads. The best thing to do is to wipe everything as best as you can and see if you can find where the fuel is either seeping or spraying out. If it's dripping off the banjo bolt, check the weep hole on the pump to see if it's leaking there. If so, replace the pump. The first place I'd look is the short rubber lines between the bowl and the pump, be sure they aren't cracked. If they are cracked and you have to pull the bowl to replace them, it would be a good time to just reseal the entire bowl at the same time you replace the hoses. Diesel Orings has a kit for that as well as the short blue pieces of hose for the bowl to the pump.
Can I do all of this without removing the turbo? I am hoping I can just remove the "Y" tube and free up a little room to get at the fuel pump if indeed that is where my leak is coming from...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 01:17 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Yes u can just did it this weekend. pulled the pump and filter housing out to clean up and replace all the hoses.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 02:53 PM
College Student

Could be the weep hole on the fuel pump itself. Your situation sounds like how mine was and thats what it was.
All I did was order a new pump and reseal kit from diesel o rings for the fuel filter housing and new fuel lines. They are both easy to do. The fuel bowl only has 2 bolts if I remember. Your probably gonna have to just cut the old fuel lines off. When I took my pump out, the only pain was torquing the banjo bolt back on because I still had the turbo it. Just a lot of small turns.

It took about 3 hours from start to finish with no experience ever doing it before.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Baby Swamps Injectors, TS-6 chip with swamps tunes, DIY E-Fuel. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

This makes me feel a lot better, thanks for the info guys. I have seen people mention various ways of getting the cam in its highest position so the pump tappet doesnt fall into your motor when removing the pump. Did you guys do anything in particular to make sure this didnt happen? One guy mentioned that if you line up the indicator on the balancer with the indicator on the cam positioning sensor that the tappet can't fall into the motor... Can anyone chime in on this? Another way I read about was to turn the motor over by just wrenching on the alternator and hope to see the pump rise slightly?? I find it hard to believe the pump will "rise" at all from this... otherwise just pulling it out seems like it would be a breeze, right?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2018, 11:55 PM
College Student

All I did was lift strait up slowly and carefully. Didn't get in a rush. Then made a plug out of a bolt rapped with electrical tape and plugged the hole while I cleaned out all of the gunk that had over the years occurred down there. If you can pull your turbo, it would make working on the banjo bolt a breeze. Not to mention it wouldn't be a bad time to do a rebuild. But otherwise, it just takes some more time.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Baby Swamps Injectors, TS-6 chip with swamps tunes, DIY E-Fuel. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsdurastroke View Post
All I did was lift strait up slowly and carefully. Didn't get in a rush. Then made a plug out of a bolt rapped with electrical tape and plugged the hole while I cleaned out all of the gunk that had over the years occurred down there. If you can pull your turbo, it would make working on the banjo bolt a breeze. Not to mention it wouldn't be a bad time to do a rebuild. But otherwise, it just takes some more time.
Okay cool, I'll be sure to take it easy on the pump. I'd prefer to not rebuild the turbo just yet, I just bought the truck a month ago haha id rather fix the fuel leak and see how it does for a while. i've never worked on diesel motors, or any motor in general really.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:27 AM
College Student

Should be 2 bolts holding the fuel bowl, two fuel lines at the top of the bowl, 3 fuel hose going to the pump from the bowl, 2 bolts holding the pump, and a banjo bolt.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 05:14 AM
PSN Veteran

I usually pulled the engine lifting lug out of the way to get to the banjo bolt.
You can remove the lift pump bolts, then rotate the engine by hand, the pump will rise up.
I never did anything special either. Just unbolted and removed wherever the engine had stopped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode