Education on turbos. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
College Student

Education on turbos.

95, 7.3 4EOD with 250k, baby swamps injectors with ts6 chip

Pulling some grades the other day, noticed that once I got above 7psi, there was a wine from the turbo that sounds like a bad bearing. Gets louder the more boost I make. At 25psi it is horrible. Im pretty sure it the turbo because it doesn't do it based off of rpm alone. Just whenever I put it under moderately hard acceleration and above 7psi. Noticed it the other weekend towing a 24k gooseneck across Idaho, but it faint. Then yesterday it got significantly worse instantly.

I had a rebuild kit, but sold it to a buddy due to the fact that I could never get the turbo removed. Tried multiple times and no go. Its impossible on this truck for someone who has never done it before. Im looking for suggestions on just an overall turbo upgrade. Heard good stuff about KC turbos on here. Not really wanting to brake the bank on it tho. With college going again, I don't have a lot of free time either.

Whats the real benefits to going to a smaller housing? From what I have seen, you use loose more top end boost around 2700rpm from what I read a while back somewhere. I tow a lot and would like to have some more low-end boost. I don't race. just drive it to classes and back and tow trailers. Never exceed 2200rpm really.

Thanks for your time in advance.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:07 PM
PSN intsigator

Re: Education on turbos.

I put a hybrid turbo on my 96 from riff raff and love it. The center section bolts down from the top. Dieselsite also has one.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 05:15 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Dieselsite just released on comes with bellowed pipes delete pedestal everything u need for a turbo upgrade on a obs. And they a sponsor on here to so good to support the guys that make this site possible.

http://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsite...dturbokit.aspx

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
TSGT Bob W Martin USAF 1948-2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
College Student

Ive been tossing around the idea of swapping over to the newer system like what diesel site is selling. Not really thrilled on the price of that one, but still considering it.

If I were to upgrade to the newer super duty is it just as simple as swapping out the up pipes for some new ones for a 99-03? Main reason I am considering this is because for future maintenance, its just 2 bolts and 3 hose clamp deals and, boom the turbo is out in a matter of minutes. No monkeying around with the pedestal nor where the exhaust housing meets up with the up pipes.

As for a hybrid turbo, What is the advantage or change? From what I could tell, I would just have to get a newer pedestal and thats it. What is the major difference between a 1.0Ah, and a 0.85 or what ever that one size is. Im not sure what the stock size is, but I'm guessing the smaller size would spool faster. What rpm would it start to die out though were a bigger housing would be better? I drive in the city a lot now and having a quicker spool would me nice.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 01:09 PM
PSN intsigator

If I had to replace my obs turbo again I would definitely go with the dieselsite turbo. I just put the wicked in my 02, it is bigger on both sides and the spool is great even at low rpm it comes up way faster than the stock turbo

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
College Student

Thats mainly what I am looking for is better low end boost.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Sounds like your turbo has excessive shaft play. Mine did the exact same thing as yours. About 35,000 miles ago, I rebuilt my stock turbo with 1.0 exh housing, WW2, and ceramic coating. The boost response was far improved over stock. I have 160cc injectors and a TS Chip. I could easily hit 30 pounds of boost very quickly in the hot tune position and 20 pounds in the stock position.
The turbo started howling under load and had a ton of shaft play due to a worn thrust plate from all the exhaust back pressure. I think the 1.0 housing caused this along with a hot tune. I upgraded to bellowed up pipes and the KCTP38R a few weeks ago.
Since the turbo upgrade a few things I’ve noticed......even with the stock tune, I get a some black haze when I first roll into the throttle and the rpm’s are under 1500, stock turbo did not do this. With the stock turbo it would blow tons of black smoke all the way through the pull on the hot tune. The KC turbo cleans it up almost completely one it “lights” off. Big difference there. On the hot tune, I can hit 38 pounds very very quickly. I had to replace all my IC boots because they kept blowing off! I personally feel it isn’t as loud, spool up and “whoosh”, when I lift under load. You can hear is spoil down up to 20 seconds after the key is turned off. Overall......unloaded and just driving, it feels less responsive when under 1500 rpm. With a load 3500 pounds or more, it feels much stronger when accelerating and my egt’s seem to stay about the same as the stock turbo was. I also noticed that I now drive in the stock tune position more now, so I guess that means it is more responsive than the stock, “worn”, turbo. With the KC turbo, when it “lights”, it feels like a 4 barrel opening up. I hope this helps.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
College Student

Thats what I was looking for.
In my daily driving tune from swamps, the minute you put your foot down at any given rpm, it will put out a big ol cloud. And it can maintain that cloud for how ever long you want.

Anytime I am cruising in down town Boise, my truck sits at about 1200 rpm if I get all green lights. But otherwise I sit at about 2k where ever I go, or if I lock out OD. Thanks for the Impute on the KCTP38R. Thats probably what I am going to go with. I haven't really seen much about BD thruster and know KC has a great reputation.

They are all about the same price all said and done installed here in Boise. I just have the time to do it myself due to classes going again and that the damn thing is impossible to take off.

Should hopefully have the problem fixed within the next two weeks or so.

Thanks for your time guys.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 04:00 PM
PSN Veteran

Be sure that when you replace the turbo, you replace the stock pedestal with a ebpv delete pedestal, and that you check the condition of the turbo flange where the up-pipes insert. Mine was so wore out that I didn't even have to unbolt it to remove it. Either get bellowed up-pipes or at the bare minimum, new donuts. If you are patient and purchase a few specific tools, you can get it out and save big $$$. The most important are a 10mm 1/4" drive swivel socket and an 8mm 12 point socket in 3/8 or 1/4" drive. You will also want to cut down a 15mm box end wrench to get the lower 2 exhaust housing bolts off the turbo flange. I slathered every bolt in anti-seize as well. Good Luck!

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
College Student

I got new donuts coming on the way as well as the turbo. I have tried to take it out 3 times and no go. Those back two bolts behind the pedestal are just a no go. Broken numerous swivel sockets. At least they were craftsman. Broke 4 wobble sockets, stripped out a 1/4 ratchet, bent a 1/4 6" extension from twisting it.... I dont know why its on there so tight, but it is. Now I dont got a place to work on my truck while I'm at school. Plus parents just moved meaning I just lost my main shop. I didn't even attempt the 15mm bolts because I couldn't get the main other ones to begin with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode