I bought a 7.3L! 1996 f-250 with 211k miles - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I bought a 7.3L! 1996 f-250 with 211k miles

Thanks to anyone that gave me some guidance while I was searching. I am hoping I did alright with this choice, although I am pretty terrified.

I was able to get it for $7500 (he was asking 8k)
1996 F-250 xlt with 211k original miles, second owner.
7.3L Powerstroke - She's basically bone stock, which is what I was searching for.
4x4 with auto transmission (was rebuilt at 170k miles, he provided me with receipts.
Engine compartment is pretty clean
Interior is in pretty good shape as well.
Everything seems to work as it should.

The only cons I have found so far:
- small oil leak, need to try and track that down this week.
- frame rust? I attached a photo of it to get your guys opinion as well.. looks like its pretty minimal surface rust, but i've never seen frame rust in my life growing up in Phoenix, so it startled me.
- Gas pedal takes a little bit of pressure before it actually responds, this may just be that i'm not used to driving a giant truck. I currently drive a 2003 tacoma 4x4. I'm sure i'll get used to it.

Other than that, I am pretty happy with her so far...

I've attached some photos. I will take more photos of the interior tonight, but its in really great shape in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body1.jpg (23.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg quarter.jpg (19.0 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg quarter2.jpg (19.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg interior.jpg (16.1 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg motor1.jpg (20.4 KB, 66 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: I bought a 7.3L! 1996 f-250 with 211k miles

here are couple more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor2.jpg (21.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg frame.jpg (11.2 KB, 59 views)
post #3 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:22 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Nice looking truck I wouldn't worry bout that rust I see much worse daily up here in rust country. Heek I see more rust then that on these new cars.that don't have a frame. I love my 95 350 and don't plan on getting rid of her anytime soon.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
Bob W Martin 1948-2014 USAF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by masakimm View Post
Nice looking truck I wouldn't worry bout that rust I see much worse daily up here in rust country. Heek I see more rust then that on these new cars.that don't have a frame. I love my 95 350 and don't plan on getting rid of her anytime soon.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
Thanks Bob, that eases my mind a little bit on the frame rust... Apparently the original owner used it to travel with his 5th wheel a lot and it was exposed to wet conditions more often than most AZ trucks. I will probably try and clean it up and maybe even re coat it to stop any further rust. Need to read up on how to do all of that though.
post #5 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:45 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Why does everyone think Im Bob if I am Im doing good cause I died in 2014.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

"Y'all have a wonderful"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #6 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 09:14 PM
don't play well w others

That's no rust. That's only surface rust. Nothing to worry about

BTW, that guy is Mikey. He eats everything.

His daddy is Tom, the mod here.
His step daddy was Bob
BigRed02 and masakimm like this.

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #7 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:54 PM
PSN Veteran

"small oil leak, need to try and track that down this week"

Ah yes! The oil leaks.

In the valley or?
I started looking for the source of my oil leak(s) and then over the next two years and 30+ pages of build thread, I ended up with alot of new parts and upgrades under my hood.
Worth every $$$$ and every headache!!
Congrats that is one nice looking truck. Clean! Lots of PIO in that 96 I would be proud to have it
Now let the wrenching and upgrades begin!
What do you plan to use the truck for?

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #8 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
"small oil leak, need to try and track that down this week"

Ah yes! The oil leaks.

In the valley or?
I started looking for the source of my oil leak(s) and then over the next two years and 30+ pages of build thread, I ended up with alot of new parts and upgrades under my hood.
Worth every $$$$ and every headache!!
Congrats that is one nice looking truck. Clean! Lots of PIO in that 96 I would be proud to have it
Now let the wrenching and upgrades begin!
What do you plan to use the truck for?
Hey man.. I have some realllly dumb questions since I'm new to this diesel trucks and this forum in general.

What do you mean when you say "in the valley"? I think the oil may be coming from the front of the pan, or behind the pulley in that same area... hard to tell so far. It does seem to be a slow leak, but i'd rather have NO leak.

And thanks for the kind words about the truck! The body is a little beat up, you can tell its been poorly painted after some fender benders... but the interior is in great shape and the motor looks really clean and un disturbed. I looked at a few before I bought this one... one of them didnt even have an air filter... I left that place pretty quickly

My father has a boat that he rarely uses, and I could never tow it with my little Tacoma (its a 26ft Bayliner). So I am planning to use this beast to tow it around a bit. I believe the boat/trailer weigh about 5500lbs. I also plan to use it for hauling around my dirtbikes since my tacoma has a camper shell on it. Eventually, i'd like to get a toy hauler and side by side for the family, but that is probably atleast another year away. I figure I can use that time to get the truck all dialed in and ready to roll
post #9 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 04:45 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by masakimm View Post
Why does everyone think Im Bob if I am Im doing good cause I died in 2014.������������

"Y'all have a wonderful"
You are the Ghost of PSN!!
BigRed02 likes this.

1996 F350 XL Crew Cab LB 4x4 3:55
Former Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB Truck
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Riff Raff Diesel Turbo & Y Boot Kit
Riff Raff Diesel HPX
Mile Marker 449SS Manual Hubs

1987 F250 XLT Lariat LB 2WD 4:10
6.9/7.3 IDI Swap-SOLD

2010 John Deere 5055D

1974 Deutz 5506
2950 hours-"The Tank"
post #10 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I have heard people mention the term "blow by" alot when talking about diesel motors. I did a quick search and found that one way to test for blow by is to unscrew the oil fill cap all the way and leave it resting in place while the truck idles. So, I did this yesterday after driving home from work, and the cap didn't move a bit. No bouncing around at all, the cap just sat there in place while the truck idled. Did I do this correctly? If so, it sounds like the result was good, correct?

When the oil fill cap is removed completely, a very faint smoke comes out. However, I saw a video that showed what it should look like, and mine matched that almost exactly. I am feeling a little les scared about my purchase now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode