Bad Turbo? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Bad Turbo?

I hooked up compressed air to the inlet side of my turbo. I plugged the return pipe coming off the IC to the spider and pressured it up to 15 pounds. There is a lot of air coming out the exhaust pipe! This surprised me because I thought by plugging the IC pipe, nothing could get into the engine. So does this mean either my spider is cracked inside or my turbo is somehow leaking intake air into the exhaust housing? It has to be one or the other and I doubt my spider could have a crack that large. You can hear and feel the compressed air out the tailpipe.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Re: Bad Turbo?

The inside of the spider is clean as a whistle and I canít see any evidence of even a hairline crack. The compressed air must be going through the inlet side of the turbo to the exhaust. Thatís the only way I can figure itís making it out the tailpipe. Is that normal?

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
KC TP38R, CNC Fab Bellowed Up-Pipes, Full Force Stg 1 injectors, 3" DP, 4" exhaust, CNC Fab HPOP, Mark F E-Fuel, 7.3 Intercooler, 1.0 Exhaust Housing, TS Chip, remote coolant filter, and VB.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:40 AM
PSN intsigator

I don't think you should be leaking compressed gas anywhere if your ic is plugged. Is your ccv hose still hooked to your intake pipe, or did you plug straight to the turbo?

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ahhh, yes. It is still hooked up. If it was blowing air into the CCV, would it find itís way to the tailpipe? That would be a relief. Turbo makes 35 pounds of boost with a WW2, and 1.0 Exh housing.

1997 CCSB, 7.3/E4OD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:08 AM
PSN intsigator

It is possible, I know I chased leaking air on mine and it was the damn cab hose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 AM
PSN intsigator

Mine was pushing through the dipstick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode