grinding noise, help - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Canadian Eh

grinding noise, help

today i hit a bit of mud on a backroad and something started making a grinding noise. sitting in the cab i can hear it from idle up in all gears, i think it could be the turbo but i dont know if it could be something in the tranny. i can hear it coming from the center , i can tell if from the trans tunnel or the firewall. any help appreciated. thanks matt

96 F250 7.3, auto, eclb, D60 swap, TS 6 pos, diy intake, Flo-pro turboback, ccv mod, Isspro gauges, Detroit Truetrac, 16x10 eagles, 315/75/16 Fierce Attitudes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Canadian Eh

Re: grinding noise, help

bump, need help please

96 F250 7.3, auto, eclb, D60 swap, TS 6 pos, diy intake, Flo-pro turboback, ccv mod, Isspro gauges, Detroit Truetrac, 16x10 eagles, 315/75/16 Fierce Attitudes
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:42 AM
oilfield trucker

Sounds like you have mud in your brakes, may have gotten into a bad u-joint cap too mabey. Try riding your brakes and see if the sound goes away or changes, try driving in reverse too and see if thesound is different.

96cc,lb,4x4,zf5. DIY dual filter intake, intercooled,gauges,4''down pipe, DIY front bumper/grill guard,fuel tank mod, 238cc Rosewood Diesel hybrids,6pos chip from TDP,
stealth SRP1 HPOP,Garrett GT4294 with DIY mounting kit,valair 500hp kevlar/ceramic clutch,Dual SD pumps electric fuel system with regulated return,5'' DIY Straight pipe.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Canadian Eh

no it happenes when the truck is moving or not, it has something to do with the motor or trans, from what i think my turbo might be going, the compressor wheel rubbing on the housing or maybe in the trans

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:03 AM
cattle farmer

5-Speed? if so maybe throwout bearing

Thomas,
97 f350 cclb-7.3
sticks,clutch,bars

05 f350 cclb-6.0
deleted, studed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 03:20 AM
oilfield trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16yrenthusiest View Post
no it happenes when the truck is moving or not, it has something to do with the motor or trans, from what i think my turbo might be going, the compressor wheel rubbing on the housing or maybe in the trans
If the comp wheel is rubbing you'll get a howling squeel more than grinding. Pull the orange rubber boot off the intake of the turbo and give the comp wheel a wiggle and see if its loose, look at the fins on the turbo and see if the fins are chipped or broken. Does the grinding get progressivly worse as your rmps increase?

96cc,lb,4x4,zf5. DIY dual filter intake, intercooled,gauges,4''down pipe, DIY front bumper/grill guard,fuel tank mod, 238cc Rosewood Diesel hybrids,6pos chip from TDP,
stealth SRP1 HPOP,Garrett GT4294 with DIY mounting kit,valair 500hp kevlar/ceramic clutch,Dual SD pumps electric fuel system with regulated return,5'' DIY Straight pipe.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Canadian Eh

i figured out what was wrong, the mud i went through pushed the DP up and it was rubbing bad on the floor. it also started to seperate at the middle of the 2 piece DP and was leaking bad . thanks for your help and suggestions guys

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:06 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16yrenthusiest View Post
i figured out what was wrong, the mud i went through pushed the DP up and it was rubbing bad on the floor. it also started to seperate at the middle of the 2 piece DP and was leaking bad . thanks for your help and suggestions guys
A "bit" of mud pushed your downpipe up? Remind me to stay off of your backroads, I thought ours were bad!

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Canadian Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokyred View Post
A "bit" of mud pushed your downpipe up? Remind me to stay off of your backroads, I thought ours were bad!

Dave
it was more than a bit, thats saskatchewan for ya

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode