Wired up license light, ABS light kicks on - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wired up license light, ABS light kicks on

So I have been driving my 1997 f250 7.3 4wd for 3 years without any license plate lights. Well I decided to do some major rust prevention and fix up some body panels recently. I installed LEDs all in the rear and they worked flawlessly. Well I decided to change my broken leaf spring and hook up my license lights. Who ever owned the truck before me must have did something with the license plate wiring. So I decided to tap into the tail light wire as a hot. Lights all worked. Then my ABS light came on everytime I go above 30mph. I could sit And idle all day and it won't come on. Now when I replaced my springs I had the bed off and I was stepping all over the diff speed sensor. So I'm in a debate whether to rip all my wiring apart or the speed sensor. But my speedometer still works. Guide me in the right direction .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 01:20 PM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: Wired up license light, ABS light kicks on

i did a lot of work to my truck and had the bed off for a long time when I first started driving my truck again I had the same problem i don't know if it was moisture in the sensor or wiring or rust on the tone ring. But after driving it for a while the abs light stopped coming on. it lights up for bulb check. So I was going to check the codes in the abs module but before I bothered the abs stopped bothering me. there is a connector on the pass side that can be used to get the codes to flash.

"Y'all have a wonderful"
"My name is Bob the guy floating in the lake with no arms and no legs"
Bob W Martin 1948-2014 USAF

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Update: cruise control does not work. I have a code reader and when I plugged in it my truck didn't like that. Turned into a lope idle when it was reading codes and blew my #14 instrument panel fuse. I'm stumped on this one. It sat outside yesterday with a high of 85.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Wired up license light, ABS light kicks on

This year of trucks don't like LED lights. You either need to install resistors on them or buy ones that have the resistors built into them.

For a code reader 99% of them out there will not read Fords codes. You need to get one that specifically says that it will read them. That usually means Auto Enginuity or ForScan, both run on laptops.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
This year of trucks don't like LED lights. You either need to install resistors on them or buy ones that have the resistors built into them.

For a code reader 99% of them out there will not read Fords codes. You need to get one that specifically says that it will read them. That usually means Auto Enginuity or ForScan, both run on laptops.
We have a winner!!! I totally forgot about the third brake light on the cab installing a resistor to it. That's right I did just replace the bulb yesterday with a LED without wiring in a resistor like I did with the taillights. Everything works good now!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode