1996 with chugging bucking issue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1996 with chugging bucking issue

well first time poster long time lurker, iv really tried to stick to old topics on direction for issues with my truck. anyways its come time to make a post in hopes i can figure this out once and for all. im experiencing a loss of power / low boost issue(most i can get is about 9-10 psi wot up hill less with a boxtrailer on with dirtbikes in it). i can physically feel the truck "shudder" or "buck" under acceleration. i have torque app, to monitor some pids.

1996 f250
efuel set at 65 psi (doesnt dip under any accel light or wot)
napa filter
just replaced up pipes with ceramic bellowed from riff raff
rebuilt the turbo also installed a rr wheel
3"dp 4"the rest way out
cleaned and replaced orings on ipr
has ts 6 pos tuner (problems persist on stock threw what ever position)
i run delo oil and wix filter
new ebps and tube

there was oil in the valley, i just replaced the up pipes and rebuilt turbo, with ebpv delete. the actuator was leaking. the bucking issue happens when i give it any more then say 1/4 throttle. wot will have black smoke out exhaust not a smoke screen but enough to see it in my side mirror. i have noticed that the hpop psi wont shoot up to 2800 its will hit about 2000 and work its way up with engine rpm.

anyways any assistance or direction would be greatly appreciated.

mcpootin.

1996 f250 7.3 riffraff 4+4 wheel, cereamic coated turbo. bellowed uppipes(ceramic) napa filter, 3in DP,4in side exit,e-fuel,ts 6pos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:45 AM
Project Shamu

Re: 1996 with chugging bucking issue

If the HPOP isn't building much more than 2000psi, then its going to hurt you pretty bad. I think people say anything under 2400psi is "bad", and anything 2600+ is "ideal" and then 2800+ is awesome.

A T500 rebuilt pump is only $450-500, and mine will peg 3000psi before my foot even hits the floor.

Thats where I would start.

EDIT: And welcome to the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I might add its a zf5 trans. Would the oil pump being "bad" not allow the turbo to get the right amount of psi?

Like i said i have torque and i can see alot of the pids. Any way to cross check for a for sure bad hpop?

Should my hpop psi be pegging to the high 2ks instantly as i wot? Does engine rpm play a role in how much psi the hpop will put out?

1996 f250 7.3 riffraff 4+4 wheel, cereamic coated turbo. bellowed uppipes(ceramic) napa filter, 3in DP,4in side exit,e-fuel,ts 6pos

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 12:26 AM
PSN Newb

you can read your HPOP psi with a good scanner. there is also a procedure ive seen on the forums about using a hydraulic pressure gauge and some fittings, $50 worth of parts, but thats testing while in the driveway, not going down the road. someone else would have to splain it to you. An Auto Engenuity scanner and a laptop and you can record it and many other various input and output functions as you go down the road.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I can read my hpop psi with torque. I found a leak on the hpop drain plug. id assume this wouldn't cause a drivability issue, but could this be a contributing factor?

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:33 PM
Project Shamu

The HPOP should skyrocket as soon as you put your foot into it. But then will slowly fall until it stabilizes. It it ever falls below 2600psi, then your not going to be using your injectors to theyre maximum. Which will cause a loss in power, but is it the cause of your problem? Can't say for sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
The HPOP should skyrocket as soon as you put your foot into it. But then will slowly fall until it stabilizes. It it ever falls below 2600psi, then your not going to be using your injectors to theyre maximum. Which will cause a loss in power, but is it the cause of your problem? Can't say for sure.
what would make the hpop not respond like it should? sounds more along the lines of ipr or icp issue wouldn't it? I replaced the orings and pulled the ipr apart and cleaned it. but could the electric part still be "biased" ?

also I pull the plug on the icp and there is no oil in the plug, but it doesn't look like a factory motorcraft part, looks like an ebay replacement, would a failing icp create an issue where the psi wont peg instently? I know oil in the plug is the tall tale sighn of it begging to fail, maybe it hasent reached that point yet?

im begging to think its not a mechanical issue but more of a sensor issue.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ran a buzz test, and all 8 sound healthy and loud.
Also pulled the codes, and im not getting any. Besides a p0113 for intake temp .

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

bump , looking for any reason why the icp isn't building instantly like it should, but if I roll on it it will peg 23-2400. it rises with rpm as well. but if I'm at 1500 rpm and I WOT it, it will just shake and slowly build icp. if the pumps bad so be it, but can anyone explain the science behind it? id like to understand what's happening before I just throw a t500 at it, and possibly not be the fix.

I did fix the leak on the hpop drain plug, new oring and some 680 locktite.

mcpootin

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

would bad injector orings cause the low icp at wot? or the slow climb of the icp at wot. if I roll on at 1500+ rpm its will hit 2400lb, but if I just push the pedal to the floor it will stumble on it self. and icp will slowly climb.

I know someone mentioned a shot hpop, but why would it hold 2400 psi when rolling on it, all the way up the rpm. but if I just mat it, it acts all screwy .

id really like to get this issue solved as this is my daily driver and the wife and I are expecting a daughter in a couple of months, and I wont have free time to work on my rig.

i believe torque app can data log , i can possibly do that if it might help with diagnoses

thanks

mcpootin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode