95 7.3 crank won’t start, starts with ether, dies at idle - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

95 7.3 crank won’t start, starts with ether, dies at idle

Hey y’all, new to the forum, so about two months ago I bought a 95 off of a guy, he stated that truck randomly died one day after he had replaced the fuel tank, so he replaced fuel pump, fuel bowl and IPR because I think he assumed it was some sort of fuel problem. Then I guess he had a no crank no start that he couldn’t figure out, he replaced the starter, starter relay and ignition module and still no crank. He stated that the rebuilt transmission, new injectors, new glow plugs, all about 60k ago. Then I bought it and I fixed the no crank issue, a wire was not correctly in the module. Anyway I began trying to fix the engine issues, I’m just gonna say all the thinks I replaced, reman HPOP(one of the fittings was blown out), CPS (x2 dark grey and black one), checked all fuses, all good, bought another IPR(w/ edge filter), got clean fuel, changed oil and oil filter, fuel filter, two new batteries, UVC harness, and new pigtails, unplugged icp, and most recently an IDM. A while back, before I got the HPOP, had a family friend hook it up to a scanner, we got the oil pump code and that’s when I realized the fitting was blown out, he checked all the injectors and injector o rings and said they were all good. Anyway, after I put the new HPOP in and bled all of the air out of the system, it still would not start so I disabled the glow plugs and tried some ether and it started up with some throttle but died trying to idle. Tried one more time and gave it some more gas to try to warm it up but as soon as I try to let it idle it shuts off. Had my family friend come over and hook it up to the scanner and checked the fuel and oil pressure while cranking, both looked good, got codes P1293 and 1294 for the open banks 1 and 2, replaced the valve cover harnesses and pigtails and tried again (with a little ether and glow plugs disabled) started up and idled for about a minute and shut off, problem not fixed. So I still assume the injectors might not be firing so I bought a reman idm and threw it and nothing, wouldn’t even idle. So I’ve had this thing for about a month and I haven’t driven it yet. My friends coming with the scanner tomorrow morning and if nothing shows, I’ll have to check the wires going to valve cover, I have not done that yet. I’m sorry for the long post, just wanted to get the whole story in and wanna know what y’all think could be my issue, any help would be greatly appreciated, I know y’all know what you’re talking about!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:56 AM
PSN Newb

Re: 95 7.3 crank won’t start, starts with ether, dies at idle

Just an idea... Every one tosses out under valve cover wiring harness... You said new ones. One time I pinched a wire under one of my valve covers. I took it apart 3 times before I found it.

BTW Did you check the HPOP oil level?? It is a small allen bolt on top of the block on the front of the engine. Toward the right side of the block. When I checked mine it was about 1/4" from the top.

What about fuel pressure at the fuel bowl at the shrader valve. Numbers would help the people smarter than me... Also what is the hpop oil pressure with the scanner? it needs to be 500 psi min. Also is the fuel bowl full of fuel?

I am new to diesels and learning a lot. I had to go through a lot of this tracking mine down a couple times.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Yeah this is my first diesel and it’s a learning experiment much more complex than a gas engine lol but yes I got new harnesses(dorman), they were the ones I could get rather quick, I’ll most likely put ford ones later down the road. But i suppose one of those could be pinched, there is much room for those wires in there but I’m pretty sure they were all good!

Yes the hpop oil level is good, about 3/4”-1” from the top. And fuel bowl fills up and there’s pressure at the shrader valve. And I’m not sure exactly what the oil and fuel pressures were when it was scanned, the guys scanner was inside the cab and he was reading it, I couldn’t see it and he said that both of them are good when I was cranking. But he’s supposed to come over today at some point, i’ll get some numbers.

At this point I think it’s some sort of electrical issue, not sure. I changed out the relays and that didn’t do anything, but I believe the previous owner had some overheating issues because some of the plastic and tape on the wire harness is melted in spots, so I’m thinking there may be a short somewhere. But I’m gonna have to look at that.

Also I’m not completely sure about this but the truck is straight piped so that sort of essentially eliminates the back pressure of the exhaust since there’s no muffler. I know the turbo will create a good amount of back pressure but idk if it’s enough. I think EBP sensor sends signals back to the pcm and adjusts something with the fuel so I don’t know if that could be an issue but it was a thought.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for all the replies. Anyway a quick update. Truck still does not start. A couple weeks ago, i checked the resistance in all the wires from the IDM to the injectors and they all checked out fine. Swapped around the relays for the horn, pcm, idm, nothing. Had my friend with the scanner over about 2 weeks ago, and we did the buzz test on all the injectors and they all checked out just fine. Checked icp pressure, was like 505 psi, fuel pressure was good dont remember what it was. We got a code for no communication with the pcm, took the old one out (looked like it may have been wet) and bought a refurbished one, put it in yesterday and still no start at all. Put in another new CPS for the hell of it and it didn't do anything. The only thing i can think of now is that the dang truck may have been under water. HA! Which leads me to believe that maybe the ECM could be bad also? Don't know how that affects the truck starting or not or too even keep it going if it does start. Or maybe bad wires somewhere from the PCM to IDM or PCM to the fuse box, idk? So, if anyone has any ideas please shoot them out here, it would be greatly appreciated.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 PM
PSN Veteran

I would try a new idm.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Already did. Didnt work

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode