Torque converter locker for 1st and 2nd 4EOD - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
College Student

Torque converter locker for 1st and 2nd 4EOD

Is there a way to lock up 1st and 2nd gear in a 95 7.3 with an 4EOD transmission? That way I can use an exhaust brake to slow down loads on steep hills or off ramps at slower speeds. Especially up in the mountains where I do not even get up to speed where 3rd locks.

I know the easiest fix would be to swap it for a zf5, but I am working with what I got and cannot do that as of now...

I do not know if this is possible or not, I would like to use the motor to slow me down instead of just coasting down a hill holding the brake peddle, Especially with a load. My exhaust brake works killer in 4th and 3rd gear locked up, I would just like to be able to use it with the bottom two gears as well...

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 02:40 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Torque converter locker for 1st and 2nd 4EOD

Pretty sure you can get tunes for that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Former Ford Trans Engr.

An exhaust brake will work in first and second gear with or without the torque converter being locked. You will get about 10% more braking force if it is locked, but it will still work unlocked.

Mark
Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:05 PM
PSN Veteran

There is a mod out there that will let you put a switch in that you can use to lock up the torque converter at will. I remember reading about it over on The Diesel Stop years ago. You might try doing some searches over there and see what you come up with.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:09 PM
POWERSTROKEMIKE

thought you couldn't lock it in first. (cause if you stopped it would stall the motor ? ) not sure.. correct me if wrong.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 11:10 PM
sooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokemike View Post
thought you couldn't lock it in first. (cause if you stopped it would stall the motor ? ) not sure.. correct me if wrong.
Coming to a stop with the converter locked in any gear will kill the motor.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
College Student

I'll look for that mod potentially and talk to swamps about tuning it. I just didn't know it could be done with it. It would just be another thing to remember with it locked in first gear to not stop and kill the truck with it locked. Ive tried it unlocked and it just slows the motor down to where it isnt doing much. The best the brake works in is the 2200rmp- 1700rpm range.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 04:14 AM
PSN Veteran

With the new security certificates that both sites have and the search function being screwed up just do a google search for torque convert lockup switch and you will find it and how to do it.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
College Student

I emailed swamps an am waiting for a response from them about potential tuning. I looked up the mod and from what I could tell, it doesn't work the greatest in first or second gear.
I also don't like necessarily cutting wires and potentially messing up the computer. Knowing my luck, it would happen. That and I dont want to potentially mess up my relatively new rebuild.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
College Student

Mark, do you think I would have to worry about transmission line pressures or anything of that nature if I manually locked the torque converter in second gear?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode