97 f250 lack of power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 f250 lack of power

I read this all the time on different forums, so now it's my turn. I bought my first powerstroke, never did the diesel thing so I'm definitely in the learning stage. Also this is my first day joining the forum. Now the problem...

I bought a super clean truck, condition unknown. It was bought at an auction then sat untouched for 4 years. 201k miles, auto, 2wd, super cab, long bed, heavy duty.

I did a ton of maintenance to it to revive it. It starts, runs, and drives. Seems like it has no power. Don't want to be long winded but here we go..

All stock, new batteries, glow plugs, fuel filter, oil filter/change, water pump,radiator/fluid change, transfilter/ fluid change/ flex plate, ebpv tube /used clean valve, new valve cover harness, new pickup in the front tank, cleaned tank with new fuel. Truck needs some tlc and miles put on it. Somebody cut the cat off of it so the exhaust is open after the up pipe, turbo appears to be working, all the boots are good

It makes really loud diesel sounds until you give it throttle then it quiets down, which is why I replaced the flex plate(which was cracked 85% around the bolt holes). It still makes the noise. Is it normal? Never drove one of these either so do they all feel under powered? It won't chirp tires with banana skins, and new wet pavement.

Any help would be grand. I'd love to use this for my company truck as long as I can make her reliable again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 06:24 PM
PSN Local

My dads 97 7.3 had low power i looked into it and found that the boot to the turbo the red one was cut and losing boost and the computer had a bit of water in it replaced it and power came back but these trucks have no intercooler a simple chip from dp-tuner or Tony wildman and aftermarket air intake will wake her up and have u loving it more these 97 7.3 are very reliable and have forged rods and were made to tow rather then hot rodding
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:30 PM
Because I can!!!

Re: 97 f250 lack of power

These definitely aren't race trucks from the factory but they will pull like crazy. But what do you mean by really loud diesel sounds? 7.3s are a very choppy sounding motor when they idle. A new 3in down pipe might not be a bad idea as the factory ones are very restrictive.

97 F350 cclb
7.3 5spd

95 f350 rclb 7.3

02 f350 ccsb 7.3

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I replaced the boots with better ones off the parts truck. I havn't pulled the computer yet to look at it. I was told the parts truck was an actual good running truck so I might have a good parts source at the least.

Lately the truck has an idle surge when you first start it up, but I imagine all the crap is finally breaking loose. The more I drive it he better it seems to get so maybe I'm over reacting.

As far as the loud diesel sounds lol, the truck is really really loud at idle. As soon as you give it a little throttle it gets really really quiet? Same happens in reverse when driving. When I let off the throttle when slowing down it gets really really loud.

I'm only asking because my buddies stock truck sounds nothing like mine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:11 PM
PSN Newb

Re: 97 f250 lack of power

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heavyduty View Post
I replaced the boots with better ones off the parts truck. I havn't pulled the computer yet to look at it. I was told the parts truck was an actual good running truck so I might have a good parts source at the least.

Lately the truck has an idle surge when you first start it up, but I imagine all the crap is finally breaking loose. The more I drive it he better it seems to get so maybe I'm over reacting.

As far as the loud diesel sounds lol, the truck is really really loud at idle. As soon as you give it a little throttle it gets really really quiet? Same happens in reverse when driving. When I let off the throttle when slowing down it gets really really loud.

is your buddies stock truck exhaust cut off after the down pipe? I run a 3"dp and 4" from there out the side, and its pretty loud. my buddie has a cat and muff on his and I cant hear the dam thing when he pulls up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 03:20 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97heavyduty View Post

Spring for an exhaust. Mine dumped under the cab and was stupid loud. Went with a diamondeye 5 inch all the way to the back. As far as power or lack there of.... I dunno without some type of explanation. You can always chip it. Lol
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well I may have stumbled onto my lack of power issue. I took the truck out the other day to get some fuel and when I pulled back into my shop I smelt something burning. I jumped out to look and both front wheels were smoking. Both calipers were locked up. Not completely, but it made feel like I was driving with the brakes on. I imagine that! 4 years of sitting. I can't believe they worked at all.

I appreciate all your guys help. Until the next time.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode