Just changed injectors-did I fry IDM? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Veteran Member

Garage
Just changed injectors-did I fry IDM?

I just finished changing out my injectors and while VC connectors were disconnected I decided to crank it over several times during repalcing all components. I did not pull Maxi-Fuse # 8 and I am wondering if I fried my IDM during cranking with VC connectors disconnected.
I have fuel bowel full of fuel, HPOP reservoir is almost full ( I topped off before trying to start), pulled one of the plugs in rifle barrel for oil- the one next to where a HPOP line attaches and have oil in there and under pressure. But while trying to crank I do not hear injectors clicking. I have 12 V to that fuse for IDM #8 but no start.
If it is IDM, anyone have an extra?
Thanks in advance.
Joe

Centxdiesel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F250 XL SC, 512HP 1019TQ,
30% nozzle Hybrids from [email protected]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adrenaline, Beans D-66,Beans E-Fuel,Valair Ceramic-Kevlar clutch.

Awesome Tuning by: Matt: from:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Just changed injectors-did I fry IDM?

Injectors are not going to fire if the HP oil pressure does not reach 500 (or so) psi when cranking. It does take awhile to get it purged/filled enough to fire after an injector change. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 05:22 AM
<---- Funny

takes ALONG time to get it to start after doing injectors....

Will

2002 F-350 CC LB 4x4 DRW

3 other PSDs, Low-Pro Freightliner, and 12 other diesel trucks

Random pics

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Don't worry, you didn't fry the IDM by doing that.

It will take quite a bit of cranking to purge the air from the oil and fuel systems. Leave the injector harnesses unplugged until you're pretty sure you have fuel pressure, that is critical so you don't do any damage to the fuel side of the injectors. Then hook them up and crank it in cycles to keep the starter cool, taking breaks between trying to crank.

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Veteran Member

Garage

Should I rely on the gauge I have installed in the fuel port on the fuel bowl regulator where the schraeder valve used to be at?

Centxdiesel

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Veteran Member

Garage

While cranking it shows 25psi.

I am going to borrow a scan tool tonight and run a buzz test.

Centxdiesel

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 01:38 PM
PSN Local

I have an IDM for sale but like the other guys said it does take some time to get it to start.

Allen
2002 F250 Auto 2WD
4" exhaust, Gearhead Automotive Performance Tunes, Adrenaline HPOP, 3G Pod (PSI, Trans, Pyro), AIH Delete, S.S. HPX Line, Precision TC BD Valve Body, AFE Stage 1, Bellowed pipes, WW

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 09:01 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centxdiesel View Post
I just finished changing out my injectors and while VC connectors were disconnected I decided to crank it over several times during repalcing all components. I did not pull Maxi-Fuse # 8 and I am wondering if I fried my IDM during cranking with VC connectors disconnected.
I have fuel bowel full of fuel, HPOP reservoir is almost full ( I topped off before trying to start), pulled one of the plugs in rifle barrel for oil- the one next to where a HPOP line attaches and have oil in there and under pressure. But while trying to crank I do not hear injectors clicking. I have 12 V to that fuse for IDM #8 but no start.
If it is IDM, anyone have an extra?
Thanks in advance.
Joe
I have one sitting around. $100 shipped gets it and if you don't need it I'll refund everything except shipping.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Lovin the Tuna

Get a scan tool, look at the ICP while cranking. If its not at 500 yet then thats your issue. Then just do like smokyred said above...

2001 F250
2000 F250
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:16 PM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centxdiesel View Post
Should I rely on the gauge I have installed in the fuel port on the fuel bowl regulator where the schraeder valve used to be at?
Yes, that is on the return side of the system, so your injectors have fuel. Reconnect the electrical and crank it up!

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode