CAT elc coolant - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

CAT elc coolant

Hey guys what do you all think about running the CAT elc coolant in a 97 7.3? Its time to flush out my old coolant and though about running the elc because it lasts longer.

Thanks

1997 F-250 7.3L XLT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:06 AM
Offical Puddle Displacer

Send a message via AIM to pstroke96
Re: CAT elc coolant

i have it in my truck and it seems to really like it.. stays in a good temp range. but ive only had it for around 6K miles so i couldnt tell you about its longevity but its supposed to be really good stuff

Refugee
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 AM
PSN Local

I just started running it too, after replacing my 97s water pump. Never heard anything bad about it. I did hear that it's cheaper at International than at CAT though...

'97 F-350

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:15 AM
WWDD

a guy i work with switched, and his water pump started leaking not too long after, he swears thats what caused it, but the truck had 90k on it... pretty much the life expectancy of the water pumps anyway. Its good stuff, im going to switch over to it on my 08, just be sure you flush the old stuff out pretty good.

couple trucks one fast one not
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:14 PM
PSN Veteran

Somewhere there was an extensive thread on this...was "Gooch" the resident antifreeze expert, or was that on the other old forum. Anyhow, IIRC, the ELC's were not recommended for our models because certain internal engine components (injector cups, for example, if my memory is correct) were slightly incompatible with the ELC's. Otherwise it would've been great. I believe the thread said there was a crossover point in '99 or2000 where the components were acceptable. This was backed up by documentation, again IIRC.

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:23 PM
PSN Local

i've been running it for maybe 4 years or so (about 90k miles) i havent had any issues with it

'96 F-250 XLT,x-cab,4x4,BTS,363k,dana60,Swamps175/173s,Dieselsite Adrenaline HPOP,CPR Fuel system,rear discs,4" dp to 6" exhaust,twin 6" stacks,Tymar, Boost Pyro Tranny and white-faced gauges,I/C,onboard air,HX mod,TW 6-position chip
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
WWDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillebill View Post
Somewhere there was an extensive thread on this...was "Gooch" the resident antifreeze expert, or was that on the other old forum. Anyhow, IIRC, the ELC's were not recommended for our models because certain internal engine components (injector cups, for example, if my memory is correct) were slightly incompatible with the ELC's. Otherwise it would've been great. I believe the thread said there was a crossover point in '99 or2000 where the components were acceptable. This was backed up by documentation, again IIRC.

Thats all good but HUEI injection is used by caterpillar, and the injector cups are pretty much the same, so there again i would not be afraid to use it.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 08:30 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzchey21 View Post
Thats all good but HUEI injection is used by caterpillar, and the injector cups are pretty much the same, so there again i would not be afraid to use it.
While I don't claim to be an injection cup expert, here's a thread from here:

Cat ELC - Page 2 - Powerstroke Nation

Page 2, Gooch writes:

"*Tip* Due to International's compatibility tests, all pre-2/2/99 build engines (pre-SN 940614) should use a conventional coolant with the addition of SCA (or a pre-charged conventional coolant already charged with SCA)...."

I cannot speak either for or against his advice, I'm merely reporting what's been said.

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air, Beans tunes on VA 4 position chip, Adrenaline HPOP, VDO boost/pyro/outside temp gauges, Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV, modded turbo ped, Con OFE, add-a-leafs front/rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs...coming soon: 6.0 IC...wish list: Stage 2's
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 PM
PSN Local

I am a cat tech elc is garbage I think it causes leaks if it was not used from the get go. If you don't flush the old stuff out it mixs into a slime. Cat does not recommend elc to be used in press in injector cups like 3100 series engines. I have seen many leaks brought on by switching to elc from regular antifreeze. This is just my opinion but also the stuff stinks and is nasty feeling on fingers.

96 350 LB CC 4x4, 5 speed, 4 inch all spring lift, 35 mt, 18 inch classic 2, beans stage 1 injectors, beans custom tunes, 3in down pipe 4in mbrp exhaust, cold air intake, idm modd 220,000
05 QC 3500 SB Cummins, 5 inch moto blue, afe intake, daddy built trans, magtec DD, 4.10 gears, edge juice with tude, 120,000
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 02:17 AM
WWDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillebill View Post
While I don't claim to be an injection cup expert, here's a thread from here:

Cat ELC - Page 2 - Powerstroke Nation

Page 2, Gooch writes:

"*Tip* Due to International's compatibility tests, all pre-2/2/99 build engines (pre-SN 940614) should use a conventional coolant with the addition of SCA (or a pre-charged conventional coolant already charged with SCA)...."

I cannot speak either for or against his advice, I'm merely reporting what's been said.
Nope the more info the better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse4x4 View Post
I am a cat tech elc is garbage I think it causes leaks if it was not used from the get go. If you don't flush the old stuff out it mixs into a slime. Cat does not recommend elc to be used in press in injector cups like 3100 series engines. I have seen many leaks brought on by switching to elc from regular antifreeze. This is just my opinion but also the stuff stinks and is nasty feeling on fingers.
3126s are pretty much the same thing as a c7......SSSSSOOOOOO i guess cat shipped a bunch of machines out with the wrong coolant in them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode