Cracked Cup/Nozzle/??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Cracked Cup/Nozzle/???

Im not to good at diagnostics. My truck "pops" at idle and smoke white pretty bad. It is only heard from the exhaust, not really when your up by th motor, although it is pretty loud out of the exhuast. It only happens at idle, any other time drives and performs great. After idleing at a stop sign for a second, it will misfire for a split second when taking off and then drive normal. The smoke smells like raw fuel to me. Matt Popiel said he smelled coolant, but everyone else said just fuel.

I am thinking either a cracked injector cup, bad nozzle (could be spraying wrong and then once pressure builds up at higher than idle rpms it sprays ok?). Any help is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/cob32187.../0/a268gLzmGJ0

Also if a mod could embed the video for me it would be cool.

TOTALLED 1995 F-250
ISSPro, Grand Rock, DPP, DLC Diesel Performance, Total Diesel Performance, ATS, and a tired TTB.

1997 F-250
Precision Industries, Full Force Diesel, Beans Diesel Performance, DLC Diesel Performance, Banks Power, Aeromotive, Terminator Engineering, Gearhead Automotive, SuperLift, Bilstein, and a Dana 60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Cracked Cup/Nozzle/???

bump.....

TOTALLED 1995 F-250
ISSPro, Grand Rock, DPP, DLC Diesel Performance, Total Diesel Performance, ATS, and a tired TTB.

1997 F-250
Precision Industries, Full Force Diesel, Beans Diesel Performance, DLC Diesel Performance, Banks Power, Aeromotive, Terminator Engineering, Gearhead Automotive, SuperLift, Bilstein, and a Dana 60
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 AM
oilfield trucker

It almost sounds like an injector popped out a little. I had similar sypmtoms with my truck awhile back. Mine got progressivly worse pretty fast though.

96cc,lb,4x4,zf5. DIY dual filter intake, intercooled,gauges,4''down pipe, DIY front bumper/grill guard,fuel tank mod, 238cc Rosewood Diesel hybrids,6pos chip from TDP,
stealth SRP1 HPOP,Garrett GT4294 with DIY mounting kit,valair 500hp kevlar/ceramic clutch,Dual SD pumps electric fuel system with regulated return,5'' DIY Straight pipe.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Mine has stayed about the same. I dont put to many miles on the truck lately so I havent driven it alot like that. I hope its something simple like that.

TOTALLED 1995 F-250

1997 F-250
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:29 AM
PSN Veteran

If you have a cracked injector cup, you should be seeing fuel in the coolant. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:33 AM
<---- Funny

have you put it on a computer to see whats goin on... check to see what cyl is misfireing...

Will

2002 F-350 CC LB 4x4 DRW

3 other PSDs, Low-Pro Freightliner, and 12 other diesel trucks

Random pics

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
If you have a cracked injector cup, you should be seeing fuel in the coolant. Cheers!
Which is not the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriott View Post
have you put it on a computer to see whats goin on... check to see what cyl is misfireing...
No, I have not had a chance to get ahold of my buddies code reader. Also was gunna do a contribution test last week but the guy that owns the shop never called me back.

I dont drive the truck at all at college, it just sits at home. I have some time to figure it out since it doest get driven, just wanna know what to look for.

TOTALLED 1995 F-250

1997 F-250
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Any other sugestions? I know we got some good minds on here.

TOTALLED 1995 F-250

1997 F-250
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:40 AM
oilfield trucker

Is the popping steady or intermitten ? Is it rpm related ? Do you happen to hear anything if you put your ear on the air filter ? Kinda wondering if you don't have a slightly bent push rod.

96cc,lb,4x4,zf5. DIY dual filter intake, intercooled,gauges,4''down pipe, DIY front bumper/grill guard,fuel tank mod, 238cc Rosewood Diesel hybrids,6pos chip from TDP,
stealth SRP1 HPOP,Garrett GT4294 with DIY mounting kit,valair 500hp kevlar/ceramic clutch,Dual SD pumps electric fuel system with regulated return,5'' DIY Straight pipe.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 04:12 AM
What else?

Send a message via AIM to smokyred

White smoke and a pop out the exhaust........have you checked for bent pushrods yet?

Dave

'08 F250 6.4/Torqshift Spartan 310EL, Flo-Pro 4", White_monster air intake, RCD 4-link, RS9000's 584/1330

Taking a break from trucks to play with guns!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode