1997 white smoke startup and stumble - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1997 white smoke startup and stumble

Howdy everyone,

Like the title states, I had bellowing white/gray smoke and an obvious dead cylinder feeling on a cold start which is not such a cold start when itís 80 degrees outside.

That being said it disappeared when warm though it still smoked a little more than usual.

I ran a cylinder contribution test and number 2 cylinder failed so I figured Iíd check there first. Well, I pulled the injector to find someone installed the injector with the copper washer squished halfway up the bottom of the injector, not around the nozzle like itís supposed to be.

Here are some pictures, just a testament to making sure it is seater correctly. Iím still curious as to why this went seemingly unnoticed and then one day got a lot worse.

Here they are

Matt

IMG_1937.jpgIMG_1942.jpgIMG_1940.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 1997 white smoke startup and stumble

All right guys the more I got to thinking about this problem and the more educated I've become on 7.3s and diesels in general the more curious I've become about this incident. The white smoke on startup and stumble was what I know now to be raw fuel and a loss of compression because the copper washer was not sealing the combustion chamber.

Now, I can't remember exactly how long or far I drove like this, but I know it wasn't too long as the amount of smoke bellowing out sent a cloud of smoke down my entire street and prompted me to figure out for good what was wrong.

So for you gurus out there how long would you have to drive in a condition like this to wash out a cylinder and cause low compression? The truck drives very smoothly besides a minor idle surge at hot idle, not a miss feeling at all and it idles dead nuts smooth when cold. I'm sure that is probably too broad of a question, but it has me extremely curious how resilient these motors are to such a condition. Mind you I did't drive very long and it was not bellowing white smoke the entire(short) time that I drove it this way, just at the beginning and then it would clear up.

Stupid mistake on my part to drive it at all like that. My fault, my ignorance.

I have 143,000 on it now, and to tell you the truth I should probably do a compression test just to see where I'm at approaching mid-life. Hoping to get 300,000+ miles out of this truck.

Anyway, food for thought.

Matt
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1997 white smoke startup and stumble

I would do a compression check and maybe a thorough injector cup inspection at a minimum. Maybe even the injector(s) for piece of mind. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode