truck not firing or running - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

truck not firing or running

I just got my truck back on the road and it was running better than ever . I took it for a test drive to see if the oil leak is fixed . I had driven the truck all day (50 miles) and it was reliable . When I did the test drive it thew the cel and died . The truck started and ran for about ten feet and then died and wouldnt start . I let it sit for a minute and it started and died immediately and then wouldnt start for several minutes and then did and died immediately after .

I changed the cps and nothing different , I changed the IDM and replaced it with one out of another truck , but , it was different and it didnt change the operation either . I had this problem a month ago and there was a code stored , but , my AE wouldnt recognize so I dont know what it was . I cleared the code and the truck went back to running right . This time there is no code stored and the cel light isnt on past the initial key turning .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:47 PM
PSN Local

Re: truck not firing or running

Can you buzz test with your AE?

2011 F350 CC Lariat 6.7 4x4 Tuxedo Black Loaded* ICON 4.5 inch Stage II with 4 link and Deaver Mini-Paks * OUO 5" Traction Blocks/Bars * 20" BMF Novakanes with 37x12.50x20 Nitto Trails * ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer * RECON Projector, Mirror, 3rd brake, Cab,and Tailights * Pace Edwards Bedlocker * EPIC Door Seal Mods
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I think so . Can it be done w/o the truck running?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Haters Gonna Hate

Send a message via MSN to Fordfreak4life

ya, its koeo

2004 F-350 CCSB DRW Sport Package..... something else to spend money on
Proud Supporter of Race For The Warriors
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

OK the truck was running great , but , I havent been able to find the root of the problem . So I drove it over to buddies house to change the plug ends that had broken retainer clips and look for shorts in it . I found some bare wires at the end of the plug under the intake and thought this has got to be it . So I pushed the pins out and put them in the new ends . I made sure everything(all the wires) was in the same order. I made sure the pins were in securely . I coated everything with di lectric grease and re installed . The truck wont start at all now . The motor spins and spins no smoke no nothing. I ran some onboard diagnostics with my AE . I got a p1663 and a p0475 . I did a buzz test and no buzz . I got a p1668 code saying there was no connection to the pcm/idm. I did a live data meter while cranking and the icp spiked to 3300-3400psi and then dropped off like the ipr is working . So what the F now?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

IDM and PCM relays under hood have 10 volts

Reference voltage checked at cps , icp , and all four plugs for inj. voltage checked to be 5 volts .

pulled oil fill cap and listened for inj. clicking while turning engine over with and w/o icp plugged in . No inj. clicking or noise.

checked uvch on passenger side all appeared to be new.

pulled engine harness inspected for shorts and bare wires . no shorts or bare wires.

Could not get a buzz test from AE p1668
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:59 AM
PSN Local

DTC 1663 indicates to the pcm that there is a failure in the fdcs chain
possible causes
open short in fdcs circuit
non powered idm
IDM PCM

DTC 1668 is basically a communication error between the IDM and PCM

If i had to wager a guess your IDM is no longer getting any power that would explain why its not running and the communication error

The other code is a exhaust backpressure malfunction detected not any relevance to your problem i dont think...
See if that could be the problem....

2000 f-350 SRW CC, 6" lift 22" KMC wrapped in 37" Toyo's, S465, Swamps 275/226, Studs, Springs, Pushrods, Gen3, TS 6 pos chip with Swamps Tunes...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

What is fdcs?
How do I know if my idm is powered? Why would it not be powered?

Where would an open short be ? I have looked at the uvch and ovch . replaced the plug ends and pulled the entire engine harness off stripped the loom off and cant find any bare wires. Could it be before the 42 pin connector . like where the idm ,fuse box,and pcm share the big wiring harness?

I dont have the same turbo pedestal so there is no ebpv anymore.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 AM
PSN Local

FDCS is fuel delivery command signal its the output that controls fuel injection timing and fuel quantity with the IPR. This signal is sent with the cylinder identification signal to the IDM which provides power and distributes to the proper injector

On your IDM you will be looking for pin number 17 it should be brown/orange which is the FDCS feed into the IDM and pin number 2 which is gray and red should be the signal back.... To really test this you have to have a breakout box.... just a standard voltmeter may work its pretty low voltage .6 going in and .1 returning.... As far as the IDM itself losing power i dont know which wire is its source i will check in the morning tho. If there is no voltage present on the brown orange there is a short and that would be your issue

2000 f-350 SRW CC, 6" lift 22" KMC wrapped in 37" Toyo's, S465, Swamps 275/226, Studs, Springs, Pushrods, Gen3, TS 6 pos chip with Swamps Tunes...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Fuel injector pulse width 2.66
ICP duty cycle 35.54
152 rpm while cranking
ICP 2461
ICP volts 2.5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode