Just bought a truck -- no start, no smoke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Just bought a truck -- no start, no smoke

Hello, I am new to diesels but not to diagnostics or mechanical work. I just bought a 95 5sp 4x4. I got it cheap because it was only running on 6 cylinders and drove it 80 miles to where it is stored now.

The common injector power wire was loose in the drivers side rear connector which explains why it was running on 6. I then (as preventative maintence)replaced the batteries, cleaned battery connectors, replaced glow plugs, UVCH's, and gaskets as well as replaced the offending connector.

Now the truck will not start at all --> cranks, tach moves, no smoke, 60 lbs of fuel pressure at the test port.

I checked the resistance across each injector (at the valve cover connectors) and they are all within 0.1 ohms (about 2.7). I also checked the resistance of the glow plugs through the connectors and they were all about 0.8 ohms. I also double checked to make sure I didn't bump anything.

My question is how do you guys check for injector pulse? I normally would use a noid light or LED logic probe (on a normal gas engine)but with 100V signaling the injectors this would not be appropriate.

I would also like some input on a good scan tool to buy for this application. I do have alot of experience with the OTC Genisys, NGS, Snap-on red brick and SOLUS.

And of course some helpful hints and suggestions for dianosis would be appreciated as well.

Thank you, first time poster long time lurker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 PM
JFURNER77

Re: Just bought a truck -- no start, no smoke

You need to see if the IDM relay is power on, or if it is grounding out. If there is shorts in main engine harness, PCM will shut off IDM relay and no power to IDM, no pulse to injector soilenoids.
Do you have "WTS" lamp? I would check the G.P. relay w/ volt meter to makes sure it is receiving proper signals.
Also need to check HPOP system. Even with IDM pulse, injector still needs high pressure oil.

1997 F350 4X4 XLT CREW CAB
7.3L POWERSTOKE DIESEL 390,000
T/S 6 POS CHIP, STAGE 1'S, 17* HPOP
6637 AIR INTAKE/NO CAT
4R100 STAGE 3- 12" TRIPLE DISC BILLET TORQ, BILLET INPUT, RED ALTO'S, TUGGER KIT, CUSTOM VALVE BODY, DERALE TURBO PAN.
5" SUSPENSION LIFT, STAINLESS NERF-BARS
16X10 PRO COMP 35X12.50 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T II
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 PM
PSN Local

Send a message via AIM to foxracing0934

Sounds stupid but did you check the fuse block under the hood? I think it's fuse 19 that powers the IDM.

Richard
97 F-350 PSD
6637, Rosewood Stage II's, DP-Tuner, modded 17*, ARP studs, 5" stacks and a bunch of other misc. stuff.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will double check the fuse tomorrow.

I do have the wait so start light coming on and off; I also shorted a screwdriver across the GP relay before attempting so start it just to double check.

How can I check the ICP sensor with out a scan tool. I know the pressure should be at least 500-600 psi while cranking. I have a mechanical gauge that goes to 6000 psi (I would just need to get fitting adapters); that will obviously check the out put of the pump.

Anyone know what the voltage at the ICP sensor should be at 500-600 psi?

Thanks
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 PM
JFURNER77

500-600 psi. 1 volt, 2500 psi. 3 volt

You want to make sure G.P. relay is turning ON and OFF. A constant voltage feed through harness will cause major problems.

IDM relay fuse can be good and PCM can still ground out the IDM relay.

1997 F350 4X4 XLT CREW CAB
7.3L POWERSTOKE DIESEL 390,000
T/S 6 POS CHIP, STAGE 1'S, 17* HPOP
6637 AIR INTAKE/NO CAT
4R100 STAGE 3- 12" TRIPLE DISC BILLET TORQ, BILLET INPUT, RED ALTO'S, TUGGER KIT, CUSTOM VALVE BODY, DERALE TURBO PAN.
5" SUSPENSION LIFT, STAINLESS NERF-BARS
16X10 PRO COMP 35X12.50 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T II
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 12:29 AM
I know nothing...

Hope you get'er figured out, to PSN

Doesn't roll with anyone or tag along to be cool...
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:07 AM
PSN Newb

Check the oil in the HPOP it may have leaked down in storage.Check the tin nut on the IPR to verify its tight.

97 F250 4WD, SC,5sp,4.10, D60, Guages,Tymar intake,EBPV Gut,round downpipe,SBC Con-O,Stancor

87 Tbird TC 5sp
87 Tbird TC Auto
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 11:44 AM
PSN Local

You should be able to unplug the ICP sensor and it would run anyways. Unplug it and try to start, if it runs that is your culprit. What the previous posters said also.

Bryan

97 F250 SC LB 4x4 Auto 368,000 miles, AD's, 3in down pipe, Straight Pipe,EBPV deleted, DIY Intake, Racer X converter and valve body, Beans tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will check the suggestions when I get a chance.

Another weird thing is the CEL only blicks once when the key is turned on.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Any body have a schematic of the engine harness and IDM relay so I can check these pieces?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode