Coolant Loss - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Supreme Sandwich

Coolant Loss

Walked out to the truck today just to check my fluids like I do every so often, and notice my coolant reservoir was nearly empty.

Tested the cap and it won't hold more than 5psi, and then attempted to pressure test the coolant system and couldn't build pressure.

I don't have any coolant to top it off, but I'll pick some up tomorrow. What's best for these motors? Original owner has been using the green stuff.

I see no sign of coolant leaking anywhere else, and there's nothing in the oil, so I'm assuming it could very well be a combination of a faulty cap as well as the reservoir itself.

Looking around the net shows only Dorman repalcements, with a few "genuine" Ford reservoirs on eBay, and then an aluminum unit for around $390. Is the aluminum unit worth springing for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:59 PM
PSN Local

Coolant Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azryael View Post
Walked out to the truck today just to check my fluids like I do every so often, and notice my coolant reservoir was nearly empty.

Tested the cap and it won't hold more than 5psi, and then attempted to pressure test the coolant system and couldn't build pressure.

I don't have any coolant to top it off, but I'll pick some up tomorrow. What's best for these motors? Original owner has been using the green stuff.

I see no sign of coolant leaking anywhere else, and there's nothing in the oil, so I'm assuming it could very well be a combination of a faulty cap as well as the reservoir itself.

Looking around the net shows only Dorman repalcements, with a few "genuine" Ford reservoirs on eBay, and then an aluminum unit for around $390. Is the aluminum unit worth springing for?

I run the green coolant in mine with the additive from ford to keep the chemical balance right to help with cavitation and from eating the different metals in the engine. The reservoirs you can get from e bay or riffraffdiesel.com riffraff wants 89.00 for the tank and 7.00 for the capThey can crack after years of service the aluminum tanks seam to hold up well but are just a bit pricey.
I would fill it up and retest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Supreme Sandwich

Re: Coolant Loss

Will do.

Heading out to get some coolant and a cap in just a few.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Supreme Sandwich

Topped it off and added some additive too.

Still can't seem to build pressure, and I think that may have to do with the MityVac test cap itself. It has nothing to really seal with other than threads, so air is likely escaping.

Picked up to replacement caps from the local Ford dealer, just to have another on hand.

Truck heats up normally and thermostat opens when it should. No sign of any leakage anywhere, but I'll keep an eye on it.

It could very well be that since the old cap (looks like the original, based on the Ford part number), coolant boiled and evaporated and I caught it just in time.

I think when I get paid, I'll get the aluminum unit and flush and refill the truck with SCA-precharged Fleet Charge, since people seem to be recommending it all around.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Supreme Sandwich

New cap and topping off seems to have done the trick. After 300 miles of driving, the level has remained consistent to where it was when I topped off the system.

Knocking on wood that I'm good to go!

~Josh

'96 F350 CCLB, 7.3, ZF5/1356 swap
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9
'97 Jeep Wrangler
'84 Mercedes-Benz 500SE
'85 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode