Zf5 clutch squeal when cold, goes away when clutch lightly pressed - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Zf5 clutch squeal when cold, goes away when clutch lightly pressed

I have a squeal coming from my clutch that only happens when the truck is first started up for the day at idle. When the clutch pedal is lightly pressed in, it stops. After the truck has been driven and warmed up, the noise is gone. It returns after the truck cools completely off. It does not make the noise in gear.

I think it may be the pivot point on the clutch fork. Does anyone know If you can grease this without dropping the transmission?

Thanks for all help and suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 03:46 AM
Because I can!!!

Re: Zf5 clutch squeal when cold, goes away when clutch lightly pressed

I would guess the throwout bearing. The pivot point doesnt really move to make a squeal. That can be taken out with out dropping the trans. The throw out bearing not so much

97 F350 cclb
7.3 5spd

95 f350 rclb 7.3

02 f350 ccsb 7.3
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

From what I have read the throwout bearing makes most of the noise when the clutch is pressed in. Pushing the clutch down with very light pressure only about a quarter inch makes this squeal go away.

And after it's warmed up it goes away. Doesn't make the noise in gear ever.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Master BS'er

Its probably the throw out. But it could be either one. Could also be disc chatter too. When you're foot is off the clutch the pilot won't make noise because the shaft and flywheel are turning together. When you're in gear and clutch is depressed is the only time the shaft and flywheel aren't locked together, so that's when a pilot bushing will squeak.

So with the clutch depressed move from neutral to a gear to figure out which one it is. But if it only does it when lightly depressed then it's not a pilot because they're still locked together when lightly depressed.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:30 AM
Supreme Sandwich

I had an annoying squeal that would go away with slight input of the clutch pedal. The sound would be present no matter if the truck was warmed up or cold.

I replaced my clutch fork and it went away. After two weeks of driving, all has been quiet.

Here's a difference between the two:

I just recently finished my auto to manual swap back in December, so I really wasn't wanting to drop the hole trans and t-case just to get at the throwout bearing. All parts, including the original fork came from an '89 F350 and I read that at some point Ford updated the clutch fork design itself, so I decided to start with that. It just took me awhile to get around to doing it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 01:41 PM
PSN Veteran

the black one just looks worn out, nice work

Could it be oil or fluid getting onto the clutch when parked?

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:33 PM
Supreme Sandwich

For sure.

The replacement is actually a little beefier, especially around the fork ends itself.

It's easy to do and no need to drop the trans; OP might want to consider it just to do it.

I did a quick write-up on the process over on another forum.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:52 PM
PSN Veteran

I may have to do this, my fork looked fine but its obviously older. My Zf5 can be hard to get into 1/R when cold and grinds a bit when shifting quickly into 3rd. could easily be a clutch fork issue

1997 CCFB 7.3, ZF5, 4x4, 4.10, baby swamps, TS6, E99 spyder, RiffRaff pipes, 6.0 FMIC, RSK, 315 toyo at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Excursion 7.3, auto, 4x4, 3.73, 6" Suspension lift, 37" Dick Cepeks
2000 E350 7.3, auto 2wd, 3.73, planning a TTB 4x4 conversion
21.9 liter family
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 10:04 PM
Supreme Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410customs View Post
I may have to do this, my fork looked fine but its obviously older. My Zf5 can be hard to get into 1/R when cold and grinds a bit when shifting quickly into 3rd. could easily be a clutch fork issue
Mine has a similar issue, and will grind when shifting from 1 to 2 as well. 3 to 4 and 4 to 5 are fine.

Looking back, I should have had the box rebuilt, not knowing the real history of the donor truck, but it went into each gear find spinning the shaft by hand, and the price was too good to argue with with the transfercase included.

My buddy has a '94 that has the IDI and a ZF5, and that box feels super smooth. No grinding or hesitation going into gear at all. Synchros in mine feel shot and it also feels like there's excess shifter slop too.

~Josh

'96 F350 CCLB, 7.3, ZF5/1356 swap
'98 Dodge Durango SLT+ 5.9
'97 Jeep Wrangler
'84 Mercedes-Benz 500SE
'85 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3-16
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for all the replies, I have taken the clutch fork boot off and applied a bit of grease to the pivot point on the clutch fork, didn’t seem to make the noise go away. I’m starting to think that it’s the throw out bearing and not the input shaft bearing, haven’t been at home for over a week to investigate further.
Anyone got a link to the write up on replacing the clutch fork without dropping the tranny?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in