Bad starter? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
PJB
PSN Newb

Bad starter?

New to the site and new owner of a 1997 f350 crew, my first diesel . I put 2500+ hundred miles on it bringing it home to northeast PA a month ago with out a problem. It set for a couple of weeks as I did not want to introduce it to our salty roads right off the bat.

I did start it and let it idle a couple times in that period though. Last week I decided to run it to work and park the V10. Monday morning I turned the key and got the click clack a couple of times before it started. It fired right up all week, until today. Got the click clack every time.

I am trying to convince myself it is not the starter. Tested both batteries and they were low. Put the charger on them for about 45 minutes each and did not retest.

More click clack, had the gf try starting it while I tapped on the starter with a hammer. One of the wires connected to the battery threw a nice spark when she turned the key, I would guess that it shouldn't do that.

What do you folks recommend as my next step, and if a new starter is needed which
one ,OEM or another brand.

Thanks in advance, the v10 is not as fun as ps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Bad starter?

First things first check your starter solenoid on the passenger fender. Turn the key to the run position and using a multimeter or test light have someone turn the key to the start position and see if you get power on the starter side of the relay. If you do then you may have a bad starter or if you are lucky the wire might be loose connected to the starter and by your description of it sparking it may very well be just that. Where are you from as I am also in northeast PA?

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 AM
PSN Pretender

Clean battery terminals and re-test.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 AM
oilfield trucker

, ya if your getting a spark at the battery terminal then you definetly have a bad connection at the battery.

96cc,lb,4x4,zf5. DIY dual filter intake, intercooled,gauges,4''down pipe, DIY front bumper/grill guard,fuel tank mod, 238cc Rosewood Diesel hybrids,6pos chip from TDP,
stealth SRP1 HPOP,Garrett GT4294 with DIY mounting kit,valair 500hp kevlar/ceramic clutch,Dual SD pumps electric fuel system with regulated return,5'' DIY Straight pipe.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 06:22 AM
SC Ranch

also charge them batterys up and hook a volt meter up to the batteries... have the gf turn the key over and if it drops below 9 volts quick then its the starter... (if it takes a couple seconds then for sure you have battery issues as well) you can always clean up your connections but from what i found if your throwing a spark then u will hear an attempted start... feel the starter after trying it a couple times, if it about burns your hand or is very hot then u get to do a replace...

97 stroker with KN intake (i know shoot me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), muffler and cat delete, ebpv turned into exhaust brake with the switch on the shifter (doesnt work now, ebpv shorted out)

2006 DMAX maroon 4DR SB, northern tool jumper kit, timbren overloads, EFI tuned, 4" MBRP exhaust, egr blocker, isspro gauges
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
PJB
PSN Newb

Well, I messed up with my first post. The sparks were from a wire on the starter not the battery. I will check that connection, plus what you guys mentioned.

Sorry for the wrong information.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
PJB
PSN Newb

Quick update. Tightened up the wire connections on the starter, turned the key and it fired right up.

Thanks for you help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 PM
SC Ranch

good to hear... most starter issues ive seen have precursors like it takes a jump to start it after shutting it off to go run in and get a pop or like what mine did was barely spin it over with brand new interstate batteries.

97 stroker with KN intake (i know shoot me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), muffler and cat delete, ebpv turned into exhaust brake with the switch on the shifter (doesnt work now, ebpv shorted out)

2006 DMAX maroon 4DR SB, northern tool jumper kit, timbren overloads, EFI tuned, 4" MBRP exhaust, egr blocker, isspro gauges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode