97 7.3 started knocking and rolling a gray smoke - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

97 7.3 started knocking and rolling a gray smoke

Trucks had a problem for 5 years now of white smoke on start up and idleing rough until it warms up also cuts out when flooring it with the chip turned up so I just installed new injectors 2 years ago thinking it would fix it but didn't. Now with that out of the way last night I was getting off the highway and when I let off it started knocking but kinda went away after u get up to 55 but then starts knocking bad at idle and then I noticed it was rolling a grayish white smoke bad. Sounds like injector knock to me but u can hear it really loud out of the exhaust and when I shut it of I could hear a grinding noise from the turbo until it stoped spinning. But I can spin the wheel freely and has no shaft play and won't make the knock anymore that it's cold but still runs rough and smokes like crazy any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well I looked into it more and the turbo dose have play in the shaft so I'm getting a new one got some help from a buddy today the truck was injector knocking plugged the scanner up and ran a buzz test got a open circuit code on cylinders 1 and 2 so we tested the vc harness and injectors with a multimeter they passed then we unhooked the harness from the idm and tested that and it passed so were thinking a bad Idm but was wondering if anyone else had some info
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Well I figured it out ended up being a bad oring on in injector dumping fuel into that cylinder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode