94 7.3 spits and sputters then died - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

94 7.3 spits and sputters then died

Hello all. This is my first post, unfortuneatley it is not good! =(

Just bought a 94 DI 7.3 F350, drove her home flying up I-15 at 75 running great. 200 mile trip. Parked her, few hours later wanted to run into town and grab a cold one. Got to the store, on the way home truck started sputtering then died on side of road. It would restart right away, then die again when I let out on the clutch and started moving. Called a buddy for a tow, figured I give it another try, switched back to the front tank. This time she got me the few miles home, ran fine.

These trucks use mechanical lift pump correct? I was thinking something up with the rear tank, but it ran fine of it earlier in the day. Any ideas? Just got her, havent serviced her or anything yet. Bad fuel maybe?

And also, unrelated, but is there anywhere to look up into the flywheel to see if the truck still have the old style dual mass flywheel? The clutch pedal is really stiff and it was to be absolutely on the floor, otherwise she grinds.

Thanks guys,
Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: 94 7.3 spits and sputters then died

First things first it sounds like maybe your tank switching valve may be faulty and allowing air into the system or you have a broken pickup tube in the rear tank or damaged lines coming from rear tank to switching valve.

It most likely still has the dual mass flywheel. There is an inspection port that you can look through to see which one you have. It sounds like you have the dual mass and possibly a bad throw out bearing or pilot bearing/bushing.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks speeddemon. Will have to drive her a little more on rear tank and see if I can repeat the symptoms.

Now to see if this thing is chipped, the computer is behind the park brake pedal, is that correct? Cause there is a potentiometer dial mounted lower down in the dash, not sure what its for? I know there are some 4 or 6 position chips that use these, but this one has no detentes so its unlimited positions. Not sure what it does yet.

Also, I heard to stay away from autolite glowplugs? What brand you guys using? Motorcraft?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 PM
PSN Local

That dial is probably a home made idle controller. Set the park brake and turn it idling to see if it works.

What level was your tank at when it died? My 94 doesn't like running much below 1/4 tank on either. The pickups are too short in it. I already checked.

If you pull the clutch cover make darn sure you put it back on right and that the flange is not rubbing the oil pan at all. It is a very common problem on the 94 for those things to eat right through the back of the oil pan the way the factory put some of them on. It's even more likely if it's messed with.

In case you are thinking it, 94's don't do too well with chips. The computer is eec-4 not obd2 and any chip you find for it will just suck! Mine had one in it when I got it and I threw it in the trash. It ran so much better after I did that. I have tried other brands and none of them worked right. Most didn't do anything at all. Yu can upgrade it to a 96 pcm if you want for the obd2 port to work but make sure it comes from another stick shift truck. An automatic pcm will not work right. Unless you don't mind stalling when you try to take off, the fast idle not working and your cruise control not kicking off when you tap the clutch.
I tried this too. Oh and the rev limiter didn't work either. NOT good.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:51 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Yes we use the Motorcraft ZD-11 beru glowplugs. They are the only ones to use if you don't want to deal with tips swelling and breaking off in the head. That potentiometer could either be for an idle controller or it could be someones variation on the 10k resistor mod allowing a much larger variation of resistance. It is hard to say without knowing where it is connected to.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks guys for the info so far.

I drove the 3 miles from house to town, I was gonna fill the front tank back up and try to see if I could get it to die on the rear tank again. Ran fine right until I turned into the service station, died and I coasted in. It was on front tank this time. This is getting embarrassing! I tried to restart, it would fire then die. Let it sit for 20min while checking electrical connections under the hood, fired up and drove 15 miles to the shop fine! I'm going to have my buddy take a look at it and see what he thinks. I'm thinking loose connection somewhere? If it was fuel, the problem would not be so random. Don't think its cam pos. sensor, tach moves when I crank engine. Where do you get the good gray cam pos. sensors online?

Oh ya almost forgot, there was an Edge Evolution programmer still in the box behind the seat when I bought it. Could this be the problem? But the connection on it is OBD2 and rrranch says 94 don't use OBD2?

Thanks guys.

--Eric
--1994 F350 XLT 4x4 ZF5 7.3L DI Regular cab long box
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
PSN Local

The edge will not work on any 94 model if it still has the stock computer. Try to hook it up. If it tells you communication error then you have the stock computer in it still.
You have an eec4 connector under the hood too just left of the brake booster on the fender.

What was your fuel level this time when it shut off. Going around a corner hard in mine and under a quarter tank will do the same thing. It's just the pickup tubes in the tanks. You can't run 94 models that low.

If your truck does have a newer computer and the edge program is installed then I'd take it off. I used one on my 97 and it was just junk. I rebuilt an idiot friend of mines transmission twice thanks to the edge too. The third time it came in he had two pistons with holes in them. I kept telling him that thing is no good. Especially when combined with his lead foot and 40 foot horse trailer.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:28 PM
PSN Local

Hows the oil level, and did you change it yet ? Mine would shut the injectors off at the add level when I first got the truck, before I replaced the filter and oil.

1994 F350 Dually w/Powerstroke M.T. 101,000 miles
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Rrranch, I will try the Edge and see if it works or not. If the truck is programmed, I will put it back to stock.

JDOliver, haven't yet. I have John Deere oil and filter for it, just haven't changed it yet. I'm a mechanic for Deere its cheaper than buying from the parts house =).

The fuel filter was horrible! Black and weighed a ton, who knows when it was changed last. Also got to looking at the battery cables, they are really stiff and leads have seen better days. Think im gonna go with a new set. They are pricey for all 3!

My buddy said he had a OBS powerstroke doing the same thing as mine, it was loose connection at the computer. Gonna check that today.

Thanks guys.

--Eric
--1994 F350 XLT 4x4 ZF5 7.3L DI Regular cab long box
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 03:07 AM
Demon Dually

If your fuel filter was black then you most likely have bad injector o-rings. That is one big tell tale sign of them being bad. What color was the fuel inside the bowl? If the the fuel itself is dark colored as opposed to the blueish hue then I would bet money on the o-rings being bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode