white smoke and wont rev past 2500 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

white smoke and wont rev past 2500

Well i just got this thing running a few minutes ago after it quit out of no where. ran fine up until that point.

I replaced the cps, idm, new fuel filter, checked every fuse, oil is full, hpop oil is full, putting out good fuel pressure.

now... It wont rev past 2500rpm and if i rev it that high it blows alot of white smoke. every now and then it sounds like it wants to stall too.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated. lol this is my first diesel and ive only had the truck a little under a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: white smoke and wont rev past 2500

im thinking maybe injectors???
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

What color is the fuel in the fuel bowl? If it is dark colored or your filter looks dark(black) then you may have bad injector o-rings. Put it on a scanner and see what the duty cycles are and psi readings on the high pressure side are and post back. You could have a bad ICP. IPR, HPOP could be going. There are many possibilities here.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

fuel is good to go, i went ahead and replaced the fuel filter just because today but the old one was in good shape. ill try and get it somewhere with a scanner tuesday
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:00 AM
oil burner

sonds like somethin else may be goin on but you know theres also a screen in the fuel bowl that needs cleaning,on the drivers side of the bowl you will see the hole with the screen in it.you may be able to just scrape it clean but if you want take it out to clean you need to remov the fpr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

96 f250, ZF5,160cc,
300k miles

96 f350 plow truck
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thank ya. ill do that as soon as i get off work tomorrow. i guess just drain the bowl and go to town right?

its crazy, finaly got this thing running, it starts and fires over like it never has before and now another problem.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

alright well my buddy just brought his edge evo over so we could use the scanner it has. shower a cps code, some kind of exhuast code. cleared them ( i replaced the cps). Still did the same thing

Well we put it on the 3rd level on the programmer and the thing ran perfect. reved up past 2500, no white smoke, and idled perfect.

lol, any ideas?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

The programmer is now telling the PCM to deliver more fuel for a longer period of time which means in stock for it wasn't getting enough fuel. Sounds like a fuel restriction to some degree. The exhaust code may be the EBPV code for a clogged tube or broken sensor. When you say after clearing the codes it did the same thing do you mean that the cps code and the exhaust code came right back? If so then you still have a problem with the CPS and should be looked into more thoroughly.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

both codes stayed off. the one was just a exaust back pressure code.

I had travis dykes (awsome dude) from 2L motorsports hook his computer up to it and every checked out fine.

He told me to try a diffrent idm. That maybe the one i have is better then my last but still not all there.

If not that, then more then likely injectors.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Demon Dually

What kind of mileage do you have on your truck? It could be injectors or injector o-rings. It most likely isn't the IDM if you changed it out and it still did it. The likely hood of two IDM's being bad is fairly uncommon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode