1997 Powertrain problem. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1997 Powertrain problem.

Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I've been having some problems with idle for awhile now. I was sitting outside my girlfriends house for about 10 minutes a few weeks back and noticed that I have a super rough idle, the shifter shakes about an inch back and fourth, and it's really noticeable. I also noticed that it runs perfectly smooth while cold and after about 15 minutes of idling, it starts to get rough, then maybe 10 more minutes of idling and it's at its worst idle. I did do some simple diagnostics.

187k miles.
Fuel pressure at idle: jumps, 45-60psi.
CCT: random failures every time.
Other codes: P1277
Compression test: all 8 close to 340psi
Buzz test: all sound normal. P1277
Unplugged injectors while running, all make engine run worse.

Any ideas where I should go next? I do have a computer with Ford IDS on it. If you need me to shoot some more specs, do some tests or checks, or look at some pids, let me know.

I'm leaning towards all 8 injectors. The truck was sitting for 3 years before I picked it up. I'd just hate to throw injectors in it and still have a problem. I do have a spare known good IDM that I have not installed. Let me know your thoughts, thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: 1997 Powertrain problem.

might want to so some research on that code. Might have something to do with one of the UVCH's connections.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I will pull the passanger side valve cover off tomorrow and just throw a UVCH at it since I have motorcraft ones laying around. I'll post back tomorrow after replacement and another CCT. Thanks for the direction!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So I installed the uvch and valve cover gaskets. No change in the way it runs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:22 AM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage

I would say look at the engine harness to see if its rubbing anywhere or if any of the wires leading to the UVCH or at the pigtail are corroded or showing. Look for oil in the pigtail too. I believe that code is referring to an injector solenoid issue (the square things you plug the UVCH into on the injectors). And its referring to #7. You could also ohm out the solenoid through the UVCH, just gotta find which prongs in the connector are for that injector. Should read below 5 ohms.

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Attached are the pinpoint tests for P1271 thru P1278. Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf P1271-P1278 Pinpoint Tests.pdf (311.0 KB, 5 views)

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3” DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins Junkie View Post
I would say look at the engine harness to see if its rubbing anywhere or if any of the wires leading to the UVCH or at the pigtail are corroded or showing. Look for oil in the pigtail too. I believe that code is referring to an injector solenoid issue (the square things you plug the UVCH into on the injectors). And its referring to #7. You could also ohm out the solenoid through the UVCH, just gotta find which prongs in the connector are for that injector. Should read below 5 ohms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Attached are the pinpoint tests for P1271 thru P1278. Cheers!
Thank you for both for the info, found good ohms on cylinder 7 injector, and passed the pinpoint tests. All while cold though. I retested after a hour long drive and found cylinder 7 injector to be higher in ohms while it was hot. I picked up a spare injector from a friend and swapped out cylinder 7. The thing runs mint now, thank you!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 05:57 PM
PSN Veteran

As I was reading your post, i was going to say you could just replace the solenoid. But looks like you already took care of it. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode