7.3 hard start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
USAF

7.3 hard start

Hey y'all,

My name's Johnny and I've been using this forum for years as a guest. Finally decided to join....a year later deciding to post for first time since my newbie post.

My ol 7.3 takes a long while to crank these days. By long j just mean longer than normal. I blamed it on the cold this winter, but now that's it's spring and warm in New Mexico, I'm not seeing a difference. Truck will usually send a puff of white smoke once she turns over. After its on tho...it runs perfectly.

Newish parts:
Fuel pump (under 1k)
Fuel bowl rebuild
Fuel lines to and from bowl/pump
Air filter same time
Fuel filter same time
Glow plugs (1 year old)
Glow plug relay (1.5 years old)
Negative battery cable (1 year)
^^above are most relevant...there's Lenny more irrelevant.

Older parts:
Starter
Fuel injectors
Batteries (2.5 years old)
^^again relevant...I'm sure I'm missing some but that's why I'm here.

What y'all think it is?
Been thinking bout injector upgrade for couple years now....but if you don't think that's the issue, lemme know. Thanks in advance for the help!!

-Johnny

97 F250 7.3 SCLB ZF5 manual, 226,xxx. Bought at ~155,xxx stock. Still pretty much stock except: aftermarket turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, and full bumper replacement (deer crusher).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:08 AM
PSN Newb

Re: 7.3 hard start

Hey there sounds like a tired engine to me, how many miles? My 95 with almost 200,000 was just starting to show signs of injector stiction, white smoke, engine cackling etc. Anyway I did an oil change with Archoil AR9100 oil additive and it cleared it right up. You oughta look into some of the phone apps they have out there, you can buy a $20 bluetooth obd2 reader and run injector buzz tests, cylinder contribution, scan for codes and much more just from your phone as long as its android. If you got a windows laptop with bluetooth capability you can install FORscan for free and do the same, it's really useful stuff for cheap, let me know if you want more info on it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
USAF

Yeh I agree. She's got bout 226 on her. I was thinks maybe time for injectors...just like stage 1s for a reliable upgrade. I saw that diagnostic stuff on a YouTube video. I'll have to look int one of those ob2 readers. Have you had good luck with those? I've read a buzz test doesn't tell ya much....did you find a buzz test useful in dialing in your engine? Thanks for the reply!

-Johnny

97 F250 7.3 SCLB ZF5 manual, 226,xxx. Bought at ~155,xxx stock. Still pretty much stock except: aftermarket turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, and full bumper replacement (deer crusher).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:18 PM

I would try a new starter first.

Read over this. https://16x1p531pcnxjpi9p2ewt95n-wpe...Diagnostic.pdf

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 02:09 PM
Native Californian

Stiction is not an issue in the 7.3....that is definitely not your problem. That is a 6.0 issue. You may have an HPOP draining back. You could have a bad GP relay. Did you use all MC parts or parts from a chain store? Does it run over fast or slow? Did you check battery grounds at the block? I would go through the diagnostic list step by step and see what you come up with. A GP relay that is 1.5 years old can definitely go bad.

Byron
WE THE PEOPLE...shall not be infringed
1999 F-350, 4x4, ZF6, AFE CAI, 4" DP and Exhaust by Diamond Eye, Fuel Rail FX by RiffRaff, Cat Deleted, Cody tuned
MANY other 7.3s that have come and gone
2010 K-Z Sportster Toyhauler 37K, Various horse and stock trailers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:40 AM
PSN Newb

I love the bluetooth obd2 reader, its an awesome tool to have and a cheap way to monitor your trucks performance.The buzz test in my opinion is something to "cross off the list" when diagnosing issues you suspect to be injectors and doing so for cheap. If an injector doesn't buzz...well, now you know that there is a problem and you are better off then you were before and in my case i think it was just worn injectors that the archoil could put a bandaid on. Anyway, something you can check before you start your truck is remove the hpop reservoir plug and make sure it isn't low or empty, good time to do that is before the first start of the day. If its almost full you can rule out HPOP draining back. Id be interested in seeing your HPOP pressure when you're cranking also.

The bolt doesn't really care who made your wrench, its going to be a stubborn prick regardless.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 06:35 AM
Terminator Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbluke55 View Post
I would try a new starter first.

Read over this. https://16x1p531pcnxjpi9p2ewt95n-wpe...Diagnostic.pdf
If you want to replace the starter then use an 02-03 7.3 starter. It is a two bolt mount starter that fits the OBS engine and spins faster than the OBS one. Also need a 6mm nut for the control wire stud instead of the existing 5mm nut. The old control wire lug will need to be reamed out to fit the SD control wire stud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode