ICP problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Totally SWAMPED

ICP problem

i have been dealing with an ICP problem for some time and can't find the issue. here's the deal AE says i have 2800-3000psi at 28-30% duty cycle and mechanical gauge shows 600-1200psi. it will work 1 out of 10 times though i have tried 3 different pcm's and 5 different ICP sensor's including the one out of my 02 that is running fine. it's the same on all tunes including stock. any help or ideas this is starting to drive me nuts

99 F250 4X4 175/80%, IDM, tunes By SWAMPS, STOLEN 8/20/2013 in Bergen NJ

02 4X4 CC LB Dually hybrids, idm, tunes, Gen3, Built motor by SWAMPS, CARSON mount

97 F250 4x4 Built Motor, hybrids, idm, Tunes By SWAMPS, SRP1, CARSON mount,

97 F350 Dually 4x4 5 speed DD, tunes, hybrids, idm By SWAMPS, Srp1, CARSON mount
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 05:45 AM
OverFuelingForYourPlesure

Re: ICP problem

sounds like a wireing issue, unhook the icp sensor and the connector at the pcm, then ohm out the sensor wires to make sure they dont have any extra resistance, if that is ok check for continuity between the the wires to make sure they arn't shorted together. then check to make sure they arn't shorted to ground, or any other wires in that harness.
if that all checks good you may need to load the wires, but start by just checking for resistance and shorts
a little bit of resistance can make a big differance.

Ross
2.6 modified street pulling truck "The Lone Stroke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1996 f350, stock bottom end! swamps 400/400% injectors, swamps BFH turbo, swamps IDM, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, springs, studs, tubes, fuel system, water to air cooler, and much more...

-97 f350 4x4 CCLB tow rig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Totally SWAMPED

i have already checked continuity and can't find a problem but i will check for resistance today and try loading the wires thanks for the help

02 4X4 CC LB Dually hybrids, idm, tunes, Gen3, Built motor by SWAMPS, CARSON mount

97 F350 Dually 4x4 5 speed DD, tunes, hybrids, idm By SWAMPS, Srp1, CARSON mount

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 PM

be sure and look the connector at the sensor over real good that is where I generaly find the problem

Ross

-1996 f350, stock bottom end! swamps 400/400% injectors, swamps BFH turbo, swamps IDM, Swamps tunes, BTS oil, springs, studs, tubes, fuel system, water to air cooler, and much more...

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Headwind Magnet

This is copied from a previous post. I didn't see you say you had the code, but you might find the info helpful.
Copied from an earlier post, this will get you through the pinpoint testing on the ICP / PCM side:

1280 indicates a possible ICP sensor circuit failure. You can check that by pulling the ICP harness and with the KOEO check the voltage between Pin B on the ICP harness and the battery ground. You should see 5 volts +- 0.5. IIRC Pin B is the Brown/White wire at the harness. If that checks then look at Pin B and Pin A, you should see the same voltage there. If you don't see the correct voltage you have an open circuit or short somewhere in that harness. If you see the correct voltage in both cases then you will need to move to the PCM connector. Since you probably don't have a breakout box for the PCM, you can just disconnect the PCM connector at the firewall and use that. Before you disconnect the PCM harness make sure you don't have the key in the ignition, the following tests are done with the keys removed. Look at the resistance between the following PCM pins and the ICP harness

PCM Pin 87 and ICP Harness Pin C = less than 5 ohms
PCM Pin 90 and ICP Harness Pin B = less than 5 ohms
PCM Pin 91 and ICP Harness Pin A = less than 5 ohms

If the wiring harness checks out above it could be either the ICP sensor itself or the PCM

Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Totally SWAMPED

well i checked the resistane it looks good
also with the key on pin B to battery and pin B to A they are with in .5 of each other there
is no check engine light and as i said in the first post i have tried 3 different PCM's 2 used and 1 reman from ford the truck acts the same with all of them also 4 New ICP sensor's plus the 1 out of my 02 i'm driving and have had no change

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 06:40 PM

whenm watching the scanner, dose the icp pressure go to 0 with the engine off ?

Ross

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode