Truck dies constantly when hot - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Unhappy Truck dies constantly when hot

1997 OBS PSD 7.3

I've had a lot of issues with this truck lately. It mostly started with it dying when driving and not starting again for about 30 min. I was able to trace that back to a bad IPR valve. In the process I also changed out the CPS and ICP sensors. Also replaced injector O-rings. I also replaced the IDM a long time ago with a reman (something unrelated, and maybe not necessary in retrospect)

Truck was fine in the cool weather after that, but now that its getting warm the truck is dying again. Once that truck is hot, it will randomly die when idling. It then fires right back up. It might run for 15 seconds when hot, and then it suddenly dies like someone turned off the key. No check engine light or anything.

No codes when I scan for them, but I checked for codes when it died and I got Code: P1668 - PCM and Injector Driver Module Communications Error

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
- Injector Driver Module(IDM) communication error.

--Possible Causes--
- Open or shorted IDM EF (feedback) line.
- Open or shorted Fuel Delivery Control Signal (FDCS).
- Open IDM ground.
- Damaged or unpowered IDM.
- Damaged PCM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:57 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Truck dies constantly when hot

Off top of my head, water leaked into the IDM and causing intermittent shut down, when cold itís frozen? Perhaps a long shot but just throwing that out there... Also youíve unplugged your fuel bowl heater (meaning intermittent shorting) as it shares power circuit with the PCM, might be shutting things down.

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4Ē exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:51 AM
PSN Newb

I had a similar problem. When the engine was cold, the oil viscosity was heavier.
After the engine came up to temperature, the oil thinned and slipped by the worn O-rings of the dummy plugs.

I had to let the engine cool down a while until the oil viscosity increased. Changing out the Dummy plugs prevented the hot,
thin engine oil from slipping by the O-rings and kept the oil pressure up & constant, where it should be.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:14 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthedieselman75 View Post
1997 OBS PSD 7.3

I've had a lot of issues with this truck lately. It mostly started with it dying when driving and not starting again for about 30 min. I was able to trace that back to a bad IPR valve. In the process I also changed out the CPS and ICP sensors. Also replaced injector O-rings. I also replaced the IDM a long time ago with a reman (something unrelated, and maybe not necessary in retrospect)

Truck was fine in the cool weather after that, but now that its getting warm the truck is dying again. Once that truck is hot, it will randomly die when idling. It then fires right back up. It might run for 15 seconds when hot, and then it suddenly dies like someone turned off the key. No check engine light or anything.

No codes when I scan for them, but I checked for codes when it died and I got Code: P1668 - PCM and Injector Driver Module Communications Error

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
- Injector Driver Module(IDM) communication error.

--Possible Causes--
- Open or shorted IDM EF (feedback) line.
- Open or shorted Fuel Delivery Control Signal (FDCS).
- Open IDM ground.
- Damaged or unpowered IDM.
- Damaged PCM.
Did you keep your old IDM? Throw a bag of ice on the IDM to cool it down{Just a thought]. We have plenty up here.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Off top of my head, water leaked into the IDM and causing intermittent shut down, when cold itís frozen? Perhaps a long shot but just throwing that out there... Also youíve unplugged your fuel bowl heater (meaning intermittent shorting) as it shares power circuit with the PCM, might be shutting things down.

j
I haven't unplugged the fuelbowl heater.... think that could be an issue? When does the fuel bowl heater run? All the time or only when its cold?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdonicht View Post
Did you keep your old IDM? Throw a bag of ice on the IDM to cool it down{Just a thought]. We have plenty up here.
Nope, I sent the old one in for the core.

I could RMA this new one since it's under warranty if its the problem though. Think it's worth it?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 14five View Post
I had a similar problem. When the engine was cold, the oil viscosity was heavier.
After the engine came up to temperature, the oil thinned and slipped by the worn O-rings of the dummy plugs.

I had to let the engine cool down a while until the oil viscosity increased. Changing out the Dummy plugs prevented the hot,
thin engine oil from slipping by the O-rings and kept the oil pressure up & constant, where it should be.
Did your motor need to cool down before it started again? or did it start right away? Mine starts right away.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthedieselman75 View Post
I haven't unplugged the fuelbowl heater.... think that could be an issue? When does the fuel bowl heater run? All the time or only when its cold?
Shares the same circuit with the PCM, so if it shorts or intermittent shorts could shut down PCM. On most my trucks have either unplugged or removed the heater as itís only a matter of time and itíll short. Blowing fuse #22. As to when it comes on thatís a good question not sure how itís activated but am thinking circuit is live as soon as ignition key is turned on.

In Western Canada, winter fuel additive packages are very robust and have not heard or experienced Diesel gelling for years (late 80s). So on my truck with retrofit e fuel never hook up or install heaters any more.

Iíd unplug it and see what happens. If I remember correctly, bottom e connection is water in fuel, next up is fuel heater this is on driverís side fuel bowl.

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4Ē exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:25 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 14five View Post

Where are these dummy plugs and what is their function, canít say as Iíve heard of them before?

Just trying to learn more thanks.

j

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
Shares the same circuit with the PCM, so if it shorts or intermittent shorts could shut down PCM. On most my trucks have either unplugged or removed the heater as itís only a matter of time and itíll short. Blowing fuse #22. As to when it comes on thatís a good question not sure how itís activated but am thinking circuit is live as soon as ignition key is turned on.

In Western Canada, winter fuel additive packages are very robust and have not heard or experienced Diesel gelling for years (late 80s). So on my truck with retrofit e fuel never hook up or install heaters any more.

Iíd unplug it and see what happens. If I remember correctly, bottom e connection is water in fuel, next up is fuel heater this is on driverís side fuel bowl.

j
Cool going to go try that now thanks. Also going to try another rotation of CPS. I have a grey Motorcraft one in there now. The dark blue one made things worse. Going to try a Borg Warner one next.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode