Gear selector stuck in gear and wont shift. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Gear selector stuck in gear and wont shift.

Hello, 1997 F350 7.3 automatic 4x4. so we were taking salters off trucks yesterday. Truck was shifting absolutely fine, yes gear lever had a little play but if you pushed it towards u and select gear it shifted fine, no problems. Been like that for ever. So my brother is use to his new cars and #### and just pulled the selector straight down well it cracked the steering column tube assembly, dorman part number 905-100. I got under and saw it was compeltely cracked in half. Truck was either in park or Neutral because it would start and shut off and start, we tried to manually shift the lever on side of tranny but it was pretty hard and I did not want to do anymore damage. So today I went and got the dorman 905-100 tube assembly. installed it, i dont think I did anything wrong but I must have and am completely at a stand still. I put everything back together for the most part and the key is stuck in ignition as it was yesterday(so I think I was in neutral) and I go to crank engine and nothing, gear selector will not shift what so ever, it feels like it is jammed and if I would apply more pressure it would bend something. I did not touch the shift cable or anything else. What could be causing this to be so stiff? I thought maybe I tightened the 2 t30 bolts to tight but I checked and no change. any help would be greatly appreciate it. thank you

1997 f350 dump. 7.3 143k

2000 F350 SRW 7.3. 140K
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pittsburgh Pa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Re: Gear selector stuck in gear and wont shift.

So I took off shift linkage by the Neutral safety switch(Trans range sensor)(MLPS) and gear lever moves freely, so I believe this rules out any issues with shift cable. I noticed the bolt that goes through the Neutral saftey switch was rusty and I believe this is the issue. It goes through sensor, through tranny. There are no codes, no OD flashing. Could that bolt be seized and cause this from not shifting. I am going to drop the pan and look but I have no clue where to begin, what the bolt is called, or how to fix. Any help on what this bolt is called, part number, would be greatly appreciated.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:15 PM
alleged moderator

first thing to do is chock the wheels, then remove cable from trans and put trans in park manually.
then remove cable from back of shift tube by removing the two torx bolts.
now the truck should start.
you should also be able to now put the shifter in park and remove the key.
once all this is done, with the wheels still chocked get under the truck and try shifting it manually. if it is hard to shift, than you are going to have to replace the NSS. being under the truck they get cruddy and seize up.
once the new NSS is installed, with both shifter and the trans in park go back upstairs and put shift cable on back of shift tube with the two torx bolts and tighten them. then go back under the truck and hook shift cable to trans lever.

this should get you back running.
i don't remember if the 97 has a brake actuated solenoid to block the shifter or not.so if the shifter does not move, you may have to step on the brake pedal.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thank you for the response. Now, to help clear my thinking, the NSS can cause that bolt that goes through the switch to transmission to not move? The reason I say this is because I did take nut off and slide cable linkage off and tried to make the lever move both front and rear(wheels chalked). also had a guy in cab pressing on brake.

Thanks
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:16 AM
alleged moderator

if i remember correctly, that is what holds the NSS to the sift lever.
if the NSS is corroded and tight, it will make it very hard to shift.
the NSS on my 02 was so bad it snapped a new shift tube in half in less than 4 months.
my driver forgot to tell me he had to use two hands to shift the damn thing until the second shift tube broke. after the new NSS, you can now shift with one finger.
the 02 uses a two bolt system to hold the NSS to the trans and the shift arm is keyed so the switch will only go on the shaft one way.

tom

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

That sounds very similar to this whole situation. Will be back in am after i take NSS off and See what happens. Thanks ks again much appreciated.

1997 f350 dump. 7.3 143k

2000 F350 SRW 7.3. 140K
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pittsburgh Pa
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

This could be a silly question but could a blown fuse, abs sensor? Cause any of this.. ABS lights has been on since I've owned the truck so nothing out of the ordinary. Also I forgot to mention after the steering column tube broke, my guy got in truck and held brakes while I tried to manually shift lever under truck on side of trans, I got it to get it reverse cause I have back up beepers and we heard it, we can't back this truck up another inch or we are taking a plow into a fence. .. So yea just a thought.

1997 f350 dump. 7.3 143k

2000 F350 SRW 7.3. 140K

Pittsburgh Pa
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 12:43 PM
alleged moderator

no, abs light on just means the abs will not work.

tom

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ok, unhook NSS pigtail, took the two bolts holding switch on, it is so jammed on there I broke the switch but now just the ring part is stuck and can't get it off. Soaked it in pb blaster, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180411_091141878_1523453526443.jpg (9.6 KB, 3 views)

1997 f350 dump. 7.3 143k

2000 F350 SRW 7.3. 140K

Pittsburgh Pa
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Got the remaining NSS off.

1997 f350 dump. 7.3 143k

2000 F350 SRW 7.3. 140K

Pittsburgh Pa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode