cooling system maintenace to do list - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

cooling system maintenace to do list

Truck was heating up a bit last summer, was a hot day pulling a pass, but more than i remember it doing.
So was thinking about pulling the radiator. I would clean it inside/outside. Flush out the 20 year old fluid.
first question:
Before i pull it, should i put in any chemicals to clean the system? what would you recommend? I've always wondered about something like CLR and just run for a 15 minutes or so. Or just pull the radiator and soak it. I did install a coolant filter a few years ago.
thought i would pull the oil cooler to inspect it also. I've read some about clogging issues. Don't seem too common, but while i have the coolant drained.
T stat isn't too old, but would be a good time to change it.
Anything else i should do while got the coolant out of it?

1997 f250 supercab 4x4, h2e turbo, rickson 19.5" tires, stage1 injectors, superduty HPOP, DP tuner chip, 99 SD intercooler, dana 60 front end, DIY intake, BTS trans, 6.0 plastic fan, torqlift superhitch.
other vehicles
2006 jetta TDI, tuned, stage 1 cam, 3" exhaust.
1991 centurian 4 door Hi-rail bronco
1966 bronco, 1949 international
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:54 PM
PSN Local

Re: cooling system maintenace to do list

I remember seeing something posted here about flushing your cooling system. I use the powdered Cascade dishwasher detergent in mine, works great.......
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 12:06 AM
PSN Newb

I had a similar issue. And decided to clean and upgrade my system. I found that there was caked through the cooer and a third of the radiator. Iím surprised I didnít have more of an issue. I would replace your water pump with the Navistar pump. It has a built in filter head and you can use chemical or non chemical filters. For cleaning the system use a de scaler. While you have the cooling system drained take the opportunity to change your upper radiator hose to the one that routes behind the serpentine belt instead of through it. Change your t stat to a 205. And use RED coolant. You may need a t stat housing mine was not reusable.. I bought the billet Aluminium housing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 12:10 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofBacon View Post
I had a similar issue. And decided to clean and upgrade my system. I found that there was caked through the cooer and a third of the radiator. Iím surprised I didnít have more of an issue. I would replace your water pump with the Navistar pump. It has a built in filter head and you can use chemical or non chemical filters. For cleaning the system use a de scaler. While you have the cooling system drained take the opportunity to change your upper radiator hose to the one that routes behind the serpentine belt instead of through it. Change your t stat to a 205. And use RED coolant. You may need a t stat housing mine was not reusable.. I bought the billet Aluminium housing.

Mud was caked in my radiator.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 12:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofBacon View Post

If the water pump is not leaking I would leave it alone. The upper radiator hose goes above the belt, this is a OBS and not a Super Duty. But I would replace all the hoses anyway. The 205 or 203 thermostat is a lot of hype. I have ran a 203 one now for 4 years and the only benefit is that the coolant gets hotter. The stock 195 works just as well. Red coolant is a ELC coolant and is not compatable with the injector cup sealant. Some say it is OK some say it isn't but I don't want to have to replace the injector cups just because the sealant failed because of the coolant.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 12:29 AM
PSN Newb

Iím a tech for navistar and I can say through experience that red coolant will not effect the cups.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I"ll check out that radiator good. i guess if it's got too much junk in it i'll replace it.
What is the benefit of the red coolant?
I replaced most of the small hoses when i added the coolant filter. kinda think i put a 203į stat in there about that time. Have to look at some paper work. But think i will get the big hoses.

1997 f250 supercab 4x4, h2e turbo, rickson 19.5" tires, stage1 injectors, superduty HPOP, DP tuner chip, 99 SD intercooler, dana 60 front end, DIY intake, BTS trans, 6.0 plastic fan, torqlift superhitch.
other vehicles
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:29 PM
Caption This

Navistar says not to use red ELC coolant in engines made before 2/2/99 with serial number lower than 940614.

The benefit of using it is, it is easier to maintain and it has a longer life.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks, I won't use the red. I would rather try to keep most of my cars the same.

other vehicles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode