Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Truck cuts out when floored

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr.Stroker 
#1 ·
Hi guys I've asked about this back in 2015 and have replaced a few things since then. I got a 1997 F350 7.3. Truck has about 230xxx been doing this since I put a chip on it 5 years ago. Completely stock it felt fine just gutless then I did a intake, 3" dp to 5" strait pipe and a ts 6 ran fine but after beating on it for a month it started cutting out when I had my chip turned up and flooring it got to the point I quit turning it up and left it on econ. Long story short about 2 years later truck still doing that now it rolls white/grey smoke on start ups and I mean enough to make the truck disappear and after it warms up it seems to always be hazing smoke. So I figured it was maybe time for injectors I ordered a set of 1.5s witch r the 170cc 30% nozzles, adrenalin hpop and sent my chip out for gear head custom tunes. Got the truck done before chip got back still smokes the same but u could floor it and it wouldn't cut out but didn't have much with out the chip. Once I got the chip back it had power again but cuts out on the high tune bad enough to let off so back to econ lol I would like to fix this one day its getting old. Thanks for the help

#3 ·
Are you still running the stock fuel pump or have you gone to E fuel, if you are still running the stock pump E fuel is in your near future.

#4 ·
Put in a pressure gauge and check if the fuel pressure is dropping off.

Go to your friendly hardware store and get a 1/8"npt to 1/8" nylon ferrule adaptor fitting , some 1/8" nylon tubing, another 1/8"npt to 1/8" nylon ferrule adaptor, a 0-100psi water tank pressure gauge with a 1/8"npt thread size. If you can only find a 1/4"npt gauge then upsize one of the pipe to tubing fitting adaptors to 1/4"npt to suit. Get enough nylon tubing to locate gauge where you can read it while driving. Duct tape the gauge to the windshield. Remove the Schraeder valve fitting (looks like a tire valve) on the fuel filter canister. Install the 1/8" male to 1/8" nylon tubing adaptor fitting where the Schraeder valve was. Do not over torque.

Run engine, pressure will be bouncing but should be averaging around 50psi while running under load.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info no truck has stock fuel system but just got a new fuel pump and fuel bowl cleaned and rebuilt. Just installed some gauges tonight shows about 35-38 psi haven't been able to drive it yet but getting on it in park it only got up to 40-43 psi. Hpop is running around 400-500 psi at idle but shoots right up when idled up hit almost 3000psi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.