New to me 7.3 concerns? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

New to me 7.3 concerns?

So I just got a 97 ECSB 5 Speed 7.3 4x4 f250. Guy put a king pin Dana 60 up front wich I love. Truck runs pretty good. It's my first diesel, I've owned 4 tenth gen f150s and countless other gas fords. I am a mechanic, just so ya know, but don't really work on diesels. So anyway he said has a stage 2 clutch. Didn't say what brand. But the trans is loud like getting on and letting off the throttle. And loud cruising in 5th. It needs a second gear synchro btw, but u don't use first so I don't notice unless I'm on a good hill. Also it has a electric fuel pump and a ts 6 position. It seems a little knocky at idle sometimes. I know it's a 7.3 but sometimes it seems louder then it should. Again this is where my diesel inexperience kinda kicks in. But we all start somewhere. Also he put a blow by hose , instead of a pcv I guess if they had them, down off the valve cover, it smokes a little but wich I know is normal, but there's oil under the truck, covered. Wich hey trucks rust free in nj haha so I don't mind, but it's a mess. I think I'm gonna put a longer hose down. I don't see any actual oil leaks but hardto say yet. Right now if oil does come out from the blow by, it covers the driver side motor. Wich it is , and makes it all the way to the t case. So lastly my brakes barley work when I am backing up. Idkbif im just not thinking of something but it's as if I have no booster. Pulled out of a spot and was like what the heck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 02:19 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: New to me 7.3 concerns?

Welcome to PSN Mikefrfd,

Brakes, yes there is a vacuum pump driver’s side front engine belt drive, not uncommon for these to go out. Typically the dash “Brake” light will go on if you push the peddle to the floor and peddle “feel” will get hard then slowly soft.

Stage Two clutch I’m thinking is he has replaced the stock with an aftermarket and typically you’ll get more noise from them. For Syncros try using Redline MTL tranny fluid, it’s a great product and might extend the need for a rebuild, extended one of my trucks a couple years.

Knocky at idle, try changing engine oil brand. I used to use Delo 400 (which is great oil btw) but a 4500 Miles when the oil broke down she’d idle poorly. Now use Rotella T5 with Donaldson DBL7405 oil filter and run to 5000 Miles and smooth all the time.

For the engine crank case vent turn the dog house on the driver’s valve cover 180 degrees, put on a 90 degree elbow and run your hose up and over the brake booster canister then down to inside the frame rail. Mine ends, such that I’ve tucked it into front of fuel tank skid plate. Make sure line has no uphills to trap any oil when you fasten it inside frame rail. The uphill to booster should keep most the oil drained back into VC vent.

Check the back of each head (where it faces firewall), there is a high pressure oil gallery plug in each end of respective head. It’s not uncommon for these to leak, Plug is like 2” in diameter and takes a 1/2” square drive to replace. Fire up engine get under truck with strong bright light and look for oil weeping out plug side.

We won’t hold it against you that you’re a mechanic... :) tons of great reading and good guys on here. Btw love the Configuration of your rig.... ECSB 4x Dana front with ZF is one of my favs.

Cheers,

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4Ē exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode