1994.5 PSD fuel filter light on then stalls - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Exclamation 1994.5 PSD fuel filter light on then stalls

I have a 1994.5 PSD around 35-35 mph my fuel filter light will start flickering then it will stay on then eventually stall when it does i took off the fuel filter it had plenty of fuel replaced fuel filter and rebuilt IPR i also cleaned out the fuel bowl and i run PS diesel additive. My truck has 225k on it 5 Spd never really had an issue with it till now. i run maverik fuel aswell Thanks for yalls time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 11:58 AM
PSN intsigator

Re: 1994.5 PSD fuel filter light on then stalls

I believe the fuel filter light is your water in fuel light. It either has water in your fuel or it thinks there is have you checked the sensor, or drained the fuel bowl

sig should be here

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Native Texan

Garage

There is a filter light to found it out the hard way. It comes on when it detects suction in the filter housing i believe. when it happens pull ur filter cap it will be low on fuel. I had something in my tank that would block the pickup tube.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Well the thing is when it died i pulled the filter it had plenty of fuel and the fuel filter light turned off idled smoother when i put it back on it was fine for about 5-7 miles then died out on me again did this on both tanks so i dont believe both tanks can be clogged
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Native Texan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDiesel View Post
Well the thing is when it died i pulled the filter it had plenty of fuel and the fuel filter light turned off idled smoother when i put it back on it was fine for about 5-7 miles then died out on me again did this on both tanks so i dont believe both tanks can be clogged
the valve that switches tanks could be clogged and bot letting enough fuel thru to keep the motor going. these trucks should have round 60 psi.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by masakimm View Post
There is a filter light to found it out the hard way. It comes on when it detects suction in the filter housing i believe. when it happens pull ur filter cap it will be low on fuel. I had something in my tank that would block the pickup tube.

This is exactly what I had happen. Both showerheads disintegrated. Lol
Changed the lift pump twice trying to figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

i just noticed that when it was cranking over my oil pressure never moved im starting to think its a faulty IPR
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:19 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Quote:
i just noticed that when it was cranking over my oil pressure never moved im starting to think its a faulty IPR
the ipr has nothing to do with the gauge on the dash. it shows the pressure of the low pressure system. and would have nothing to do with the fuel filter light either. the system getting plugged from pieces of the shower head pickup from the tank is very common. I have changed mine to just straight pipe but forgot to put a screen on the bottom so had mine getting clogged by some gelling in the tank. put some stainless screen on the end and no more problems.

Upgrades:
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

it started doing it with 3/4 of a tank so it had plenty of fuel
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 12:36 AM
Native Texan

Garage

Quote:
it started doing it with 3/4 of a tank so it had plenty of fuel
yes but if the plastic got sucked into the pick up tube it will restrict the fuel flow to the filter and injector system causing the filter light to come on and engine to die. My front tank currently has a problem that causes my truck to die so I am running off my custom rear tank till I can fix my front tank.

Upgrades:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode