Changed uppipes,bluish-grey smoke behind turbo - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Changed uppipes,bluish-grey smoke behind turbo

Hi eeryone,got f super duty 97,had to cut floor to reach passenger uppipe bolts. and driver side wall got bent with air chisel,its so tight out there,spent about 40 hours
changed turbo o rings,bolted everything back,now so far ive circled around the block topped 40mph and about 15-20 lb of boost.truck has crane and dump bed -weights about 14000 pounds.
right after first 500 feets its started to smoke some bluish-grey smoke off turbo-upipesarea.doesnt leak anything.since i have hole in cab its all goes inside . what it could be? up pipes are dorman with y collector.
it started to leak oil when i changed glow plug in the back passenger outside corner(i think because i couldnt bolt back 1 stud right next to firewall)but i got flex socket and did it today so it seems doesnt leak anything.
Smoke much more if i press throttle.doesnt smoke at all at idling.
Googled for an hour.didnt find similar quizz. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:54 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Changed uppipes,bluish-grey smoke behind turbo

If itís smoking the doughnut area is probably leaking is my guess. Dorman historically have not been the best quality of parts and this might be the problem. Leaking VC gasket on the back bolt if not tightened will drip oil...

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4Ē exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 PM
PSN Local

Anti seize compound will smoke for a while after you put everything back together. You did use anti seize on it, didn't you?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
If itís smoking the doughnut area is probably leaking is my guess. Dorman historically have not been the best quality of parts and this might be the problem. Leaking VC gasket on the back bolt if not tightened will drip oil...

j
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondave View Post
Anti seize compound will smoke for a while after you put everything back together. You did use anti seize on it, didn't you?
sorry for late respond,didnt get respond and forgot about this thread.
I just took apart turbo again and rebuilt with 360 kit of ebay.also seems like i have had shaft play and did mistake when put back turbo cartridge i didnt pressed seal in it but put together on bearing housing side.so i assume that seal gave some play i felt when i installed it and that *wrong noises* during test drive.
started it for couple mins.sounds quieter than it used to be also under throttle turbo sounds like it should be(based on youtube videos)
yes i used antiseize on uppipe,collector bolts. I believe i tigthened uppies good.
What would be options if current turbo blow apart somehow. i didnt dig too much. just buy knockoff replacement for $350 of ebay or some other options? i dont need this truck to drag race.just bare minimum to match accelerating other cars in traffic.
it has 6 pos TS chip, no muffler or cat . 6637 air intake.
Sorry for long texts.i do read alot before i write but always nice to hear 2nd opinion when you are not that familiar yet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 01:24 AM
PSN Local

I personally like doing business with Dave at XSBoost turbochargers, he really knows turbos, is willing to talk to people if he's available, and has some of the best prices I've seen.... My name's Dave, his name's Dave, no relation.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode