Shredding serpentine belts. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Shredding serpentine belts.

I did the super duty tensioner on my 97 and now Its shredding serpentine belts. It wasn't doing this before just squeaking. Anyone ever have this happen after putting the dual tensioner on?

1997 cc lb 4x4 5 speed tymar 4 inch diamond eye straight pipe, 20 inch Eagle Alloy polished wheels,power hungry 6 pos tuned for stage 1's,idm mod,8000k H.I.D's. 4'' icon front super duty springs with sky 5'' rsk. rear 6'' icons for super duty. bilstien shocks. ebay special grill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 07:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Shredding serpentine belts.

Check the alignment of the pulleys.
jamiesaun likes this.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

It seems like the new tensioner is the issue. The belt is moving to the back of the idler on the tensioner. I don't see anything else right now that would be wrong.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180303_121315_1520108238965.jpg (14.3 KB, 19 views)

1997 cc lb 4x4 5 speed tymar 4 inch diamond eye straight pipe, 20 inch Eagle Alloy polished wheels,power hungry 6 pos tuned for stage 1's,idm mod,8000k H.I.D's. 4'' icon front super duty springs with sky 5'' rsk. rear 6'' icons for super duty. bilstien shocks. ebay special grill.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

I'm thinking I might need to take the alt bracket off again and make sure everything is tight and the tensioner isn't cocked a little bit

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Master BS'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Check the alignment of the pulleys.
Pretty much. Also check the pulleys for Knicks or scratches. But since a modification was made, it's probably ^this.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 09:49 PM
Native Texan

Garage

yeah probably something is cocked cause I did mine and it had worked flawlessly on my truck. because the motorcraft tensioners both move alignment is very critical.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Any tricks to checking alignment other than something obvious when looking at them?

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 01:41 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by cams-76 View Post
It seems like the new tensioner is the issue. The belt is moving to the back of the idler on the tensioner. I don't see anything else right now that would be wrong.
Are you sure you have the belt threaded right? Looking at your pix the right side pulley is showing the ribs of the belt? That would not be correct
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 04:08 PM
PSN Veteran

The ribbed tensioner pulley is supposed to be to the right of the smooth one.

But the pic is waaaaaay too small to see the alignment, and looking forward rather than straight down. Get a shot straight down, and don't resize it down so much.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 06:02 PM
PSN Veteran

If you did not get everything cut down on the on the alternator bracket far enough, it will cause an interference issue and push the right side of the tensioner forward, which will make your belt want to walk to the back and get shredded.

I would pull the tensioner back off and make sure there are no clearance issues with the alternator bracket.

Hello, my name is Rich and I have a problem....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F350 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L
1974 F100 4x4 - A work in progress...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode