three CPS sensors in 5 years - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

three CPS sensors in 5 years

just replaced the third OEM sensor in my five years of ownership, 2 of which were in the last six months. Dealer pulled DTC P0344 and checked circuits 795,796, and 351 and said they are fine. Stll not working as it stalls at idle and WOT. This thing is driving me crazy. Is it time to think outside of the box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 04:34 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: three CPS sensors in 5 years

About all that comes to mind is the physical position of the CPS on the block, relative to the reluctor on the camshaft. Do any of the decommissioned sensors show signs of contact with the cam?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

All of the sensors that I've replaced show no signs of contact at the end. They appears as new. The last two were bought from the same dealership within the last six months. They're OEM part#F4TZ-12KO73-C which is correct for my 1996 model year. Could this be a poor batch. I'm just trying to consider all possibilities.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 07:03 PM
PSN Veteran

Maybe try a sensor from an IH dealer, if you have one nearby?...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

That sounds reasonable. I don't know how many stories I've read on the various forums where guys have had to pick and choose various CPS sensors until they get the right ones. I thought that the Ford and International CPS sensors are the very same but with contained in their respective packaging.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 03:41 PM
PSN Veteran

Had similar concerns with a 96 especially when I would tow and get it warm. Long story short I think the end play on the camshaft bearings combined with engine front cover made the CPS tolerances really sensitive to depth of the CPS. And this was back when Ford CPSs were $250.00 each.... (in Canada). What I eventually did with a new Ford CPS, was put in a lathe and turned down the lip that contacts the engine front cover. In essence, moving the CPS just a smidge closer to the timing wheel, was a trial and error method. It did work and solved my miss fire issue, as I recall was like someone turned the key off for an instant then back on. Seems to me the newer version CPSs have a much broader operability design in respect to sensor and timing wheel tolerances. Now as I recall there was a casting concern on the 95 early 96 engines in which the casting and milling was inconsistent, international made a set of shims that would move the CPS farther from timing wheel, mine happened to need to be closer. If your truck is a higher mile engine might be cam walking a little, changing the CPS-timing wheel tolerances.

Hope this helps.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:00 AM
PSN Veteran

they made a few different ones. updates to the predicessors. they changed colors too. i cant remember what color one you want, but the info is out there
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I'm hoping that its just a CPS sensor gremlin. I've read that the earliest CPS sensors were longer in length than the newer ones and that the magnet was stronger. Getting the sensor closer to the wheel to read cylinder position seems to make sense. Hell, at this point I'm open to anything that seems reasonable. The truck is a low miles garage queen.(30,830 Kms). Canadian Eh!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:11 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck1952 View Post
I'm hoping that its just a CPS sensor gremlin. I've read that the earliest CPS sensors were longer in length than the newer ones and that the magnet was stronger. Getting the sensor closer to the wheel to read cylinder position seems to make sense. Hell, at this point I'm open to anything that seems reasonable. The truck is a low miles garage queen.(30,830 Kms). Canadian Eh!
Aw geeeze Canuck, sounds like it could be serious engine problems..... perhaps you should sell it to me!

Id put in a new CPS, given low mileage. Id also (just for fun) check the wiring harness leading to the injection pressure regulator, (IPR) including the cheesy tin nut on back of the IPR.

Can you provide more details as to how it shuts down.

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

At an idle it justs quits, as though someone turned the key off. It has also shut down at highway speed, I coasted for about a hundred feet and then it decided to revive itself. This is getting old real quick. I've ordered a CPS from international which will be here next Wednesday. I'm not expecting a miracle, I just thought to try a different source. It's International #1876736C91.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode