Bad injector or injector o-rings? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Bad injector or injector o-rings?

Hey guys, my truck started up pretty hard this morning. Was about 35f out. I checked all the glow plugs and the relay and all glow plugs read 1.4 ohms and relay worked properly. Once it started it ran fine. However it smokes blue slightly every morning or when it sits long enough for it to get cold regardless of the temperature outside. The smoke goes away after about 5 mins and none when itís warmed up. Truck has no blow by as I checked for that as well. Also burned about half a qt of oil since last oil change(has about 2800 miles since last change). Truck never misses either. Just concerned that it has a bad injector or bad o rings. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Also just wanted add that it blew a big puff of white/grey smoke this morning when it started hard then went right back to its normal blue smoke. Also when I started it up again this afternoon to leave work it started normally. Also truck has 180000 miles and has been very well maintained.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 12:55 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Bad injector or injector o-rings?

How long are you waiting after WTS before cranking it over? It could be injector O-rings, but you won't know for sure. You can look at the fuel filter and see if it looks black, I guess. When I had an injector o-ring failure, it was immediate. I went through 8 quarts in 150 miles! If the O-rings are still original at 180k, that's about when mine went. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I usually wait maybe 10 seconds often the wts light and it always fired right up. Maybe I should wait longer. Iíll have to keep an eye on my oil then! Thatís a lot of oil! Thanks for the help Patrick!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:24 AM
College Student

Re: Bad injector or injector o-rings?

Mine smokes for about the first 5 minutes. Just a faint blue color, then clears up. It has always done it. Even after I got new injectors put in. Only when it's relatively cold and is a cold start. I would watch the oil level and see if it ever starts to burn more and more as time goes on. I want to say there is a spec for an amount of oil that is expected to be burned over a set amount of miles that I remember reading in the manual, but I could be totally wrong too....

You can hook an LED light to the GPR so that you can monitor when the glow plugs are active or not. The glow plugs should be active for something like 2 minute upon a cold start. They are still active even though the WTS light is out. It's easy and cost about $5 bucks to do.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Baby Swamps Injectors, TS-6 chip with swamps tunes, DIY E-Fuel. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode