97 PSD dies when hot, then starts again - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Unhappy 97 PSD dies when hot, then starts again

hi all,

new to this forum, and first time having issues with one of my diesels. It's a 97 F250 PSD. Pretty much stock except exhaust and intake. Previous owner told me he changed the IDM at one point. It looks pretty new.

Several weeks ago I was driving my truck pretty lightly. Came to a stop sign and the motor seemed like it wanted to die. I pressed the pedal and it picked right back up. Then a minute later when letting off the accelerator it died. It would crank but not start. I also noticed no smoke coming from the pipe at the time.

after some research, I changed the CPS and it fire right up and got me home.

Next day, I drove it hard on the highway for 30 min or so. as soon as I left off the pedal it died. Couldn't get it to start for the life of me. Had to get it towed to a shop. Tow truck driver called me and said he drove it right off the flat bed, which means it started for him after cooling for 1 hour.

The shop told me I needed a new HPOP, the old one wasn't pushing enough oil. They also changed the injector o-rings, IPS, etc.

This should have fixed it. Nope, truck wanted to die whenever I let off the accelerator. I made it home somehow while keeping RPMs high to keep her running. The shop changed out the IPR valve (again?)

Today I parked at the gas station and kept her idling while I went in. As soon as I got in and put it in D and hit the accelerator, she died again. This time I just let her cool for 10 min and she fired right back up.

Everything I've read sounds like an IPR, but it was changed as part of the HPOP replacement, then again a 2nd time.

I am pulling my hair out on this thing! Supposedly all injectors passed the tests. I don't know what else it could be.

I am in Virginia - its been pretty cool here every time it has happened
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: 97 PSD dies when hot, then starts again

I should also note, the truck has ~160,000 miles on it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:16 AM
PSN intsigator

There is an ICP sensor on the front right side of the left head it has 3 wires and reads Injection Control Pressure, basically what your hpop is putting out. Unplug it and see what happens. The computer should start reading from a default setting.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Try unplugging it next time it dies? Or when it's still running well ?
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Sounds like HP oil system leak somewhere. Can you get it scanned for codes? When engine is cold and oil is thick it’ll fire and run, once to op temps oil is leaking. Off top of my head I’d say IPR, injection pressure regulator is not working but as you’ve changed that twice perhaps not. Make sure you check the wiring harness and plug at back of IPR. Harness wire insulation and plug can degrade overtime and short out or intermittent short.

You need minimum 500 psi to fire injector (oil pressure)

Cheers,

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37” Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthedieselman75 View Post
Try unplugging it next time it dies? Or when it's still running well ?
I’d unplug fire it up and bring to op temps and see if it runs better. The ICP senses HP oil pressure and sends signal back to the power control module. The PCM monitors high pressure oil and based on demand and other parameters will either provide more (oil pressure) or bleeds it off via the injection pressure regulator (IPR). By unplugging the ICP the PCM will revert to a limp mode and if truck runs ok while ICP is unplugged you may have a faulty ICP or harness.

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37” Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

thanks! Yeah I am temped to change the IPR a third time considering I've heard of people having such issues with them. I can get a Ford OEM IPR for ~$155. But before I do that I am going to go over all of the wiring to the ICP and IPR.

I can't keep taking this thing to the shop... I'll need to figure out how to take the IPR off myself too.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
\Can you get it scanned for codes? \
The shop scanned for codes. Nothing.

But when he hooked the scanner up, he found that the Intake Air Temperature sensor was deleted (by previous owner). It has been gone for a long time and the truck ran fine. I don't think that should cause these issues.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:55 PM
PSN Veteran

Nope. What was the IPR duty cycle showing?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

79jasper, I don't know. I didn't get the readings from the scanner. I'd like to find a scanner that works... I had a cheap one off Amazon and it did pretty much nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode