97 PSD 7.3 Died Now No Start - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 PSD 7.3 Died Now No Start

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and to diesels all together but I inherited my father's 97 7.3 after he passed away and I'm trying to fix her up and I've run into a problem.

What I do know...

Truck sat for a few years but was running.

I had it started about a month ago letting it run a while and it died out of nowhere and won't start back up.

Batteries are new, icp sensor is new, camshaft position sensor is new.

When I try to crank the motor, white smoke billows from the exhaust so I believe that tells me the injectors are firing and that I'm getting fuel.

I did a voltage drop test and my glow plug relay tested with spec as did all of my glow plugs.

I checked the oil level in the HPOP and it's nearly full.

I'm stumped!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Also, after about 30 seconds of cranking I get this strange loud clicking noise coming from somewhere in the engine bay. I don't know if that's related but figured I'd throw it out there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Is this forum dead??

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 02:36 PM
PSN Local

Re: 97 PSD 7.3 Died Now No Start

I think you have a bad glow plug relay, mine was bad even though the the time I tested it, it tested good. Could also be a bad harness connection, check the plugs where the main harness connects to the valve cover harnesses, there are four of them. Carefully unplug them and check for softness/burnt/corroded connection. If you work on the harness or the glow plug relay make sure you disconnect both negative battery cables. I had to splice in a new main harness connector on mine.

96 F350 CCLB SRW, tymar, 4in turbo back, beans 6 pos, stock inj, banks intercooler, zf5 w/ 4.10s, 37gal rear tank, 285s. Tows horses around KY.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:33 PM
PSN Veteran

It would help to know more precisely where the clicking sound is coming from. If it is indeed the GPR, it may be defective as mentioned, or you may have a main power / connection issue. Weak batteries, weak battery/ground connections, etc.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 PM
RustbeltJohnny

Garage
That sounds like a glow plug relay to me. I can't think of any relay that makes a "loud clicking" sound besides that one relay. But I also don't see why that would shut down the motor after running. So I also would shoot you in the direction of your harness. Check exactly what was said above and get a nice digital volt meter. Also review through the harness and make sure your wiring isn't bad.

Get out your pooper scoopers, cuz these suckas are talkin ####.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

My batteries are brand new.

I went ahead and ordered a new glow plug relay to see if that helps.

Thing I do notice is that the battery light in the cab is on and I've checked both batteries with my voltmeter and they're both testing good and I charge them last night just to be certain.

The clicking noise as I'm cranking sounds like it's coming from somewhere near the fuel bowl.

I went ahead and change the fuel filter this morning and the fuel bowl was nearly empty but after cranking for a little bit it was about half full when I rechecked it.

I'll look at the connections right now
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I can't seem to find any issues with the harness and I've checked every fuse in the vehicle. They were all good.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 AM
PSN Newb

Any engine light or codes? My glow plug relay was clicking at times when I was having problems with power coming to both glow plug banks. After 20+ hours of pulling valve covers, changing glow plugs,Valve cover gaskets and glow plug relay, Ohming wires and conncections, all which were a waste of time. I pulled the PCM today in plans of mailing it for testin and I had my Banks Chip half way unplugged. Bondage’s the chip in place with duct tape and will be driving the truck next few days to test it. But I was having my glow plug relay clicking when it wasn’t getting enough power.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode