Transmission Dipstick Tube pinhole leak - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Question Transmission Dipstick Tube pinhole leak

1997 F250 HD XLT 7.3L Diesel 4X4, with E40D transmission. While getting a transmission flush yesterday, my mechanic noticed that the trans fill tube had a hole in it from rubbing against the exhaust manifold. From doing a search here, trans fill tubes have been covered a bit, but the posts are pretty old, and I'm not having much luck finding a replacement tube online, much less a correct part number for my specific truck. It seems the dealer-based online sources don't list it in their exploded view parts inventory at all, or it's impossible to determine whether the part I'm looking at from other sources is the exact one for my truck (seem to find a lot of E40D tubes on amazon and ebay, but none that list my specific vehicle in their compatibility chart).

I can swing by the dealer and ask them, but I'm expecting if they do still have them, they're going to charge a lot. I can look at the junkyard, but these trucks are getting awfully rare. Worse case scenario, I can JB Weld the hole and fit some sort of guard between the tube and the exhaust to keep it from happening again.

****LAST MINUTE UPDATE: So, silly me, I just dug out my factory shop manual, got a part# out of it (7A228), looked it up on Amazon, and it came back with this one: F81Z-7A228-AA, however, it only lists compatibility with "'99-'05 F-250 F-350 F-450 F-550 Super Duty Excursions". Can someone tell me if this is indeed the correct part for my application?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 08:04 PM
Native Texan

Garage
Re: Transmission Dipstick Tube pinhole leak

Well I looked back thru my research when I had to replace my 97 transmission dip stick and have the part number for dipstick and part number for short tube at transmission but never could find a part number for the tube its self. best bet may be local salvage yard. I know it took me for ever to find dipstick online as its been discontinued. The part u list may or may not work but it is for gas engines not 7.3l to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks, masakimm. I'm going to try running by the dealership to see if I can get an accurate part # from them.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Ran by the dealer, and using my VIN#, they came up with F5TZ-7A228-AA as the exact part number for my truck's configuration. Now to see if I can find one online...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode