96 ZF5-how much ATF for a top fill - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

96 ZF5-how much ATF for a top fill

Ok, had a hard time removing the side fill plug. So I removed the shifter and will fill it from the top (after defeating a stripped allen head bolt -what were they think using allen heads).

Anyway, is five quarts through the top too much? 6? 7? I know it is suposed to take about 3.5 from the side, but heard it will quiet it down to overfill from the top.

I am using mobil 1 full synthetic atf.

Any concerns with overfilling? Overpressurization? Seal leaks? It would be nice to dampen the rollover noise some.

96 F350 CCLB SRW, tymar, 4in turbo back, beans 6 pos, stock inj, banks intercooler, zf5 w/ 4.10s, 37gal rear tank, 285s. Tows horses around KY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:52 PM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: 96 ZF5-how much ATF for a top fill

4 qts is plenty. I wouldn't overfill it; they put that spec there for a reason.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 6.0L WIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thats kinda what I was thinking, though the spec could have come from where they needed to put the fill plug. I know some guys have put as much as 8 qts in. It is supposed to quiet it down but I have never heard feedback from the guys who put extra in.

I dont get why the fill plugs are so hard to remove. I was flexing a two foot breaker bar and with the aluminum case just decided to quit. The spec on that plug is only 44ftlb!

96 F350 CCLB SRW, tymar, 4in turbo back, beans 6 pos, stock inj, banks intercooler, zf5 w/ 4.10s, 37gal rear tank, 285s. Tows horses around KY.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:33 PM
PSN Veteran

Agreed 4 quarts is the number as I recall. Mobile 1 full synthetic is good, however I have used Redline MTF (which I think is full synthetic too) with excellent results. In fact it resolved a problem with 2nd gear synchroes and extended need for rebuild for alt least a year. My ZF rebuilder couldn’t believe the difference and he used it afterwards on his rebuilds.

j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:55 PM
PSN Veteran

It's 3.2 quarts at the fill plug. So four quarts is a slight overfill, and I've read varying opinions about that. I sure wouldn't go with any more.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Ok so here is what I did. I put in 5 quarts of mobil1 and a half quart of lucas synthetic oil stabilizer. It is much much quieter on the rollover noise, and shifts better than ever, though it has always shifted pretty good. I took it for a test spin, nothing of note so far. It has a tiny seep were the case halves come together (has had that awhile) and I will watch that to see if it gets worse due to the overfill. Its a huge case so there is still plenty of air in there. Ill report back if anything bad happens lol but so far a big improvement on noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode