Turbo Question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Turbo Question

Hello everyone!
I would like to ask for advice regarded my plans. I have purchased a complete inter cooler setup (spider tube, tubing, urathane couplers, clamps, and intercooler) and turbo off of an early 1999 SD. I am intending to install the intercooler on my 1997 F250 HD 7.3L truck along with rebuilding the turbo. After researching my project, I've noticed that the 1997 turbo pedestal and the early 1999 turbo pedestal look remarkably similar. The turbo I have acquired off of the 1999 is in great shape and I was hoping I could use it on my 1997 truck. My questions are:
  1. Is the early 1999 turbo pedestal similar enough to bolt to bolt on to my 1997 diesel?
  2. If I can bolt the 1999 turbo up to my 1997, can I use a vacuum acuated wastegate instead of my EPV?
  3. Is there any advatage to this swap, if it is even possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Turbo Question

1. yes it will bolt on. However im not sure if the e99 and the 97 exh manifolds and up pipes are the same.
2. not sure
3. Im running an early 99 turbo on my 96. The only reason im running it is because i swapped the entire engine into the truck. I figured it was easier just to leave things bolted on. It works great, the turbo spools extremely fast.

2013 ccsb 4x4-stock
99 ccsb 4x4- built to the hilt, wife's DD!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:36 PM
PSN Veteran

The advantage to doing this swap would be that you have a smaller exhaust housing on the 99 turbo that is wastegated. It will spool up quicker with no top end performance loss. The turbo will not flow any more air or make any more power than the stock 97 turbo does.

I would just get a Turbo Master Wastegate Controller from Dieselsite. It is easily adjustable and is totaly mechanically operated. Here's a link http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=457

Eric
96 F-350 CC Dually
300/100% B codes, Stealth dual pumps, H2E, BTS trans, ARP head studs, Comp 910 valve springs, Tyrant Tunes
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6.0 IC, Fuelab electric fuel pump, NAPA 6637 air filter, ITP Overboost Annihilator, AeroTurbine 4040XL

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 03:02 PM
6.4's are my Hero.

Send a message via AIM to Reubine

You would have to change the up-pipes to a SD style because the SD uses a rounge flange instead of a boxed flange. I would just go ahead and rebuild the stock turbo and call it good. It would be more work to convert your '97 to the SD style. Good luck!

'95 Ford F-350, CC,4x4,SWAMPS 300/200Hybrids,H-11 Head studs,Comp 910 Springs,Chromemoly push rods,modded TE 17*, GARRETT GT40 TURBO,built trans with 3 disc billet convertor,SWAMPS 6 position chip,3"DP to 6" single, IDM Mod,Gauges,'02 SD IC,Electric Fuel system and bunch of other stuff.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Terminator Nation

Except for the EARLY 99 exhaust housing having a wastegate and a different A/R ratio, it is basically the same as the OBS turbo and uses the same uppipes, exhaust inlet adaptor and pedestal. Thats why the early 99 compressor manifold is the one to use when adding a DIY SD intercooler setup to an OBS. The late 99 and up SDs use the later style turbo, pedestal, exhaust inlet adaptor, compressor manifold and uppipes and cannot be used with the OBS turbos.

According to Joey (GSX), the exhaust manifold of the 97 and the 99 up are the same. Apparently the 95s and maybe 96s are the ones that are different. I know the drivers side uppipe for my 97 has a 97 engineering date part number.

The real question here seems to be can he use the apparently good center section of the early 99 turbo and the exhaust housing of the OBS to wind up with a quickie fix? Just remember to torque the housing bolts to 17 lbs if you do..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 01:31 AM
you want some of this?

Stay posted, I''l let you know if 97 manifolds are the same as 99 up. Pulling the 97 OBS engine tonight/ tomorrow morning, and transplanting into my 2000 later in the week. If they are the same, thats great! Cause my 2000 stuff will need surfacing/ gaskets. The 97 looks like new, with no aparent leaks on the manifolds. I'll try to post up tomorrow night. Depends on how late of a night it turns into!

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:25 PM
you want some of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorris View Post
Stay posted, I''l let you know if 97 manifolds are the same as 99 up. Pulling the 97 OBS engine tonight/ tomorrow morning, and transplanting into my 2000 later in the week. If they are the same, thats great! Cause my 2000 stuff will need surfacing/ gaskets. The 97 looks like new, with no aparent leaks on the manifolds. I'll try to post up tomorrow night. Depends on how late of a night it turns into!
OK, the 96--(thought it was 97) the pass. side manifold was the same as 2000, the driver side is shorter front to back. It will almost interchange, not quite enough length on the upipe.
Stock upipes may work, not sure.

2000 f-350 cc lb dually 4x4, BTS transmission
[email protected] 90 mph on MT mud tires and 8,000 #
coming soon--97 cc lb 4x4

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Non Helpful Member

I have a gtp38r bb On my 97 I kept the drivers side manifold with stock sd up pipes it works.

2 fords that make no power

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode