DRL - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

DRL

I have electrical feedback to DRL module. Heats up module when ignition is off. Appears to be feedback to ground. New Module, New Headlight Switch, checked Multi Function Switch. Any suggestions. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 01:08 AM
alleged moderator

Re: DRL

welcome to PSN.
are you in an area where DRL's are required? if not, you can just unplug the relay and that will disable the DRL's

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 03:12 AM
PSN Veteran

^^^^^ That will also probably disable the headlights. Remember, the non-DRL trucks have a jumper in the DRL relay connector; the circuit isn't just left open. No access to my EVTM, so I don't know what that jumper jumps, but you'd have to either get that jumper, or jump the same terminals it jumps, in order to decommission the DRLs.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 03:20 AM
PSN Veteran

I can't find a relay that would be specific to the DRLs in my EVTM. To disable the DRLs, you would need the "Jumper Plug" that plugs into the harness in place of the module. To the OP, is the parking brake switch closing/opening as it should? Is your Brake Warning light working? I've attached the DRL diagram from the 1997 EVTM for reference and troubleshooting. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: gif 97-001 Daytime Running Lamps.gif (14.9 KB, 15 views)

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 03:36 AM
PSN Veteran

Maybe you can make your own.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks Everyone. The parking brake switch is working properly. Thanks for the diagram. Any other suggestions are welcome.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:35 AM
PSN Veteran

Is it draining your batteries?
You could do a parasitic draw test.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1979 chevy c30 dually, sm465, 373's? Converted to 6.2 diesel, pump turned up and advanced a hair.(wrecked)
1994 ford F350 dually 4X4: 7.3 powerstroke, 5 speed. 6637, straight pipe into dual stacks. Cooper discoverer at/3's.
2010 Jetta TDI 40 or so mpg :flippa:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 11:48 AM
alleged moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
^^^^^ That will also probably disable the headlights. Remember, the non-DRL trucks have a jumper in the DRL relay connector; the circuit isn't just left open. No access to my EVTM, so I don't know what that jumper jumps, but you'd have to either get that jumper, or jump the same terminals it jumps, in order to decommission the DRLs.
good to know. i have never messed with pickup DRL's, only large trucks. on the big trucks it is as simple as unplugging the relay.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Terminator Nation

The headlights will work without the DRL Module plugged in. The DRL supplies pulsed voltage to the high beams when the truck is running.

The DRL headlight circuit is separate from the normal hi/lo circuit feeding the headlights. However, the high beam indicator light and the parking brake switch circuits also go through the DRL plug (module). The jumpers are installed to restore those functions.

Using ETVM pages 97-1, 97-2 and 60-6 (for diesel)

At the DRL plug:
Pin 1 GY/W High Beam Indicator light
Pin 2 Not Used
Pin 3 P/O Power Hot in Run
Pin 4 LG/R Parking Brake Switch
Pin 5 P/W Brake Warning Indicator
Pin 6 R/BK Low Beam Headlights
Pin 7 BK/O Power Hot at All Times
Pin 8 High Beam Headlights

Jumper wire 12 LG/BK pin 8 to wire 932 GY/W pin 1 for High Beam Indicator Light in dash.

Jumper wire 977 P/W pin 5 to wire 162 LG/R pin 4 for Parking Brake Switch.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 PM
POWERSTROKEMIKE

i wish my truck had them has anyone ever modified a truck that didn't have them to have them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode