White smoke after sitting, rough idle for 3 seconds - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

White smoke after sitting, rough idle for 3 seconds

Hi Guys, 96 f250 here. I recently replaced the glow plugs with help from y'all with Motorcraft brand plugs. Have power at the GP's, relay stays on for 90 seconds, OHM'd out the plugs after install and reassembly at the UVCH and they all looked good. I"m still getting the white smoke on cold start and it has a loping idle for about 3 seconds. I rebuilt the front end this past week so it hasn't been started in about that time and it smoked real bad when I fired it up last night, cleared up when it got warm. I started it this morning though to go to work and it seemed to smoke much less, still loping idle for a few seconds though.

When I changed my fuel filter a couple of weeks ago I drained the fuel bowl into a graduated bucket and it only had 1/2 a quart in it. My research has shown it should have 2 quarts in it.

My thought is that I'm getting some fuel leaking down through the injectors, possibly into the cylinders causing it to be overloaded with diesel. My fuel bowl was clean without any oil in it. I changed my oil a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't any smell of diesel nor was the level high.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts and help on this. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:05 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: White smoke after sitting, rough idle for 3 seconds

Automatic or manual transmission?

No way the fuel bowl holds two quarts. Just look at the size of it. Subtract out the volume of the filter itself, and yeah, about 1/2 quart sounds about right.
JCart likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 04:01 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWhite716 View Post
Hi Guys, 96 f250 here. I recently replaced the glow plugs with help from y'all with Motorcraft brand plugs. Have power at the GP's, relay stays on for 90 seconds, OHM'd out the plugs after install and reassembly at the UVCH and they all looked good. I"m still getting the white smoke on cold start and it has a loping idle for about 3 seconds. I rebuilt the front end this past week so it hasn't been started in about that time and it smoked real bad when I fired it up last night, cleared up when it got warm. I started it this morning though to go to work and it seemed to smoke much less, still loping idle for a few seconds though.

When I changed my fuel filter a couple of weeks ago I drained the fuel bowl into a graduated bucket and it only had 1/2 a quart in it. My research has shown it should have 2 quarts in it.

My thought is that I'm getting some fuel leaking down through the injectors, possibly into the cylinders causing it to be overloaded with diesel. My fuel bowl was clean without any oil in it. I changed my oil a couple of weeks ago and there wasn't any smell of diesel nor was the level high.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts and help on this. Thanks guys.
I'd plug it in overnight or for 3 hours before you fire it up and see if it still smokes white and runs rough. I prefer the Stancor GP Relay as they are more robust, cost more but last way longer matter of fact I've not had one fail yet. Might be the GP relay needs replacing and as I recall the GP's can stay on as long as 2 minutes..... I think.

If you plug it in and upon fire up there is no smoke or roughness then I'd suggest GP Relay needs replacing.

Cheers,

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37” Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks for the replies guys. It has an automatic transmissions. I just replaced the transmissions range sensor Thursday because it wouldn't start with the key. I have the NAPA relay and I have no problem buying a Stancor but when I read voltage on the relay when the glow plugs are on it reads 12.2 on both sides, 13.3 on the battery side with key off. That seems normal to me. I have two brand new batteries. I'm kind of fishing with this statement but it almost seems to me that if I let the glow plugs warm longer and cycle the key twice to let them warm through two cycles it starts harder and smokes worse. Is it possible that is because the fuel pump is on longer before start and fuel is somehow leaking through and filling the cylinders? I haven't tested that theory enough times to stand by it but I figured it was worth thinking about.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 03:56 PM
PSN Veteran

I don't think you have fuel leaking into the cylinders and as your truck is a mechanical pump (unless you've retrofitted an e pump) that should not be happening. Any performance files I.e., chips or programmers on your truck? Plug it in start when it's warm that should help narrow down the issue. Again Stancor is the go to, at least for me.

Cheers,

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37” Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Okay that makes me feel better. I did not retrofit an e pump. There are not any chips or programmers. The PO did put a whicked wheel in the turbo and a air intake on it. I will plug it in tonight and see if that fixes the issue and then we can go from there. I agree about the Stancor, it will get one if and when needed, seems to me though that for now the NAPA relay is working. 12.2 volts is 12.2 volts right? It shouldn't matter if a better relay is transferring it or not. I'm not being argumentative just trying to get this figured out. The truck is awesome besides this one issue.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 04:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Did you check the ADJUSTMENT of the TRS, either old or new? Try starting it in Neutral, see if the rough idle persists.

12.2V is indeed 12.2V, but that's equivalent to "you are in a helicopter" -- true, but irrelevant. What's relevant (well, _more_ relevant) is not voltage but CURRENT. The GP relay needs to pass a LOT of current for an extended time (up to 2 minutes) to the GPs. A mediocre relay won't pass the full current, and typically isn't rated for very long "on" times. That's why a Stancor, or the less expensive Western Plow relay, are such essential mods.

Another possibility is that if you have any bad GPs, not drawing enough current, the cheap relay will keep up (since there's less draw), but of course the GPs will provide less heat. Same goes for bad wiring. This is why the whole setup - relay, GPs, wiring, wiring connectors (UVCH) - needs to be in tip-top shape.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 06:23 PM
PSN Veteran

I thought the Stancor could handle more amps and broader range of volts, making it more robust, read last longer. Which has worked for me, in Western Canada we have cooler winters and lots of GP start days. The stock ones never last more than two years for me. I typically run optima yellow tops batteries as I've gotten great service from them. As I recall I've never had to double heat the G Plugs and some times I'll get a bit of white smoke on initial start up. When it comes time to replace your starter get an early Super Duty gear reduction one as it spins significantly faster and is less money and only two bolt compared to 3. A tad of white smoke is not uncommon pending temperature and relative humidity on cold starts, I'd not fret about that. A little rough idle (2-3 seconds) till all the cylinders flash right up is not unusual either on a cold start. You could also try some fuel additive like stanadyne, power service or other quality additive with a certane improver. Should give better fuel economy too.

cheers

jrc

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

When I installed the new TRS I did verify that the neutral position lines were aligned. I have not tried starting in Neutral though so I will give that a shot and see what happens. I am going to buy a Stancor relay and install that this week. I understand about the current and that seems like a logical reason for it to not be starting. I really hope there aren't any bad GP's as all eight are brand new Motorcraft that I installed a few weeks ago. I did OHM test them as well after install and they all were good. I wouldn't be alarmed if I just had a little white smoke but this is excessive white smoke. Like fill the garage in a eye watering hurry amount of white smoke. It clears up as soon as the truck hits operating temperature. I think I will try a fuel additive, It's worth a shot. I'm starting to think madpogue is right though with the cheap relay not passing enough current. I'm going to order a Stancor and report back.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 11:00 PM
PSN Veteran

What about the GP wiring? Is that all sound?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode