Someone take a look at this! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Someone take a look at this!

Recently bought a 96 zf5 truck and while installing the new downpipe I noticed a pair of vice grips on what I'm think in the ebpv actuator. Has anyone seen this before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15042000625991775931848_1504200111478.jpg (14.1 KB, 64 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:29 PM
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!

Re: Someone take a look at this!

hahaha! that pic is kinda hard to see as an atachment, but i guess somebody had a little bit of trouble and got tired of messing with it lol :p if you remove it and you can't build much boost then you'll know

by the way, welcome to the forum!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Farts are like a good bourbon, add a small touch of water to bring out the excellence."
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:38 PM
PSN Veteran

Instead of wiring it open they used a more expensive way to take care of it.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

So im guessing the way the vise grips are wedged against the intake plenum its keeping the valve open?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 06:48 PM
PSN Veteran

Yep, odds are that a previous owner had a problem with it and used the vicegrips and then forgot about them.

You can wire it open or if you pull the turbo you can gut it and be done with it. It really isn't needed.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Haven't notice it closing or loss of power. I do notice it's a little sluggish while it's cold. But when she's warm she runs damn good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 07:43 PM
PSN Local

Are those genuine Motorcraft vice grips? If not, get them outta there!!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!

Turd-250 likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I've noticed that it's still plugged into the harness. So would that mean it still tries to activate?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 04:13 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96WhiteRclb View Post
I've noticed that it's still plugged into the harness. So would that mean it still tries to activate?

Yes... my guess is was pissin the previous owner off coming on all the time (or too much for them) so they "locked" it open with the vise grips, novel way to keep'er open. My '96 cycles too often for my liking even when it's not that cold out and acts like an engine retarder. I'm thinking it's an early 96 engine build and the stock programming parameters are an early version and updates PCM versions don't trigger as much (or trigger in colder temps). If you plan on keeping it I'd gut the pedistal and the flap out of the exhaust flow. Or an alternative is to put in a manual over ride switch and use as an exhaust brake as it's a ZF5. Just be careful not to built too much back pressure using as an engine retarder as it could float your valves.... e.g. Big load steep grade flap activated and rpms near redline.

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10s 37 Toyo R/Ts intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
lights: VisionX & HID projectors in headlights.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Terminator Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragondave View Post
Are those genuine Motorcraft vice grips? If not, get them outta there!!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!

Actually, it should be Ford "Rotunda" tools.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode