96 f350 Shaking Problems - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
ct_domv

96 f350 Shaking Problems

Bought a 96 f350 awhile back and doing a full restoration on the truck. Just finished painting the frame. Took the truck for a drive and when i slow down into the low gear, the whole truck shakes. I pulled my foot off the brake to see if it was my rotors and its not. When i get to a higher speed the truck doesnt shake, only when its in a low gear like 1st. I let it coast at like 15mph and it was shaking and then i put it in nuetral and it stopped shaking but i was still moving. Is this my tranny starting to go, fluid needs to be changed or what?? It has a Jasper rebuild from two years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:57 AM
Project Shamu

Re: 96 f350 Shaking Problems

This is a tough one to diagnose without being there.

I would start with checking the drivetrain, just get under the truck on a creeper and roll around for a little while. Grab the driveshaft and see if any of the u-joints have play, or if the carrier bearing is shot, see if any bolts are loose ANYWHERE. You'd be amazed at what you might find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:58 AM
PSN Veteran

FIRST thing to try is rotating the tires. See if it changes or goes away.

4x4 or 2WD truck?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 02:11 AM
PSN

Did you do any suspension mods to rear axle? I'm wondering if u changed your pinion angle at all? Especially if u may have changed rear blocks from OEM. They don't always have the correct taper?

96 F250 CCSB 4x4 E4oD,4.30 gears, 37" tires, 2007 Suspension 160/30, S366 ,Banks IC, Adrenaline, e fuel, AFE, PRECISION TC
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 02:12 AM
PSN

Or if you have your joints out of phase

96 F250 CCSB 4x4 E4oD,4.30 gears, 37" tires, 2007 Suspension 160/30, S366 ,Banks IC, Adrenaline, e fuel, AFE, PRECISION TC
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 02:17 AM
PSN Local

I had a binding feel in my truck at low speed and went under to check u-joints, I found that the four bolts that hold the rear drive shaft to the output shaft on the transfer case were loose. I tightened them up and now it feels much better when starting/stopping and between shifts. Check those four bolts and u-joints for play.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
ct_domv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWhite716 View Post
I had a binding feel in my truck at low speed and went under to check u-joints, I found that the four bolts that hold the rear drive shaft to the output shaft on the transfer case were loose. I tightened them up and now it feels much better when starting/stopping and between shifts. Check those four bolts and u-joints for play.

Yes i found out my rear drive shaft ujoint has a lot of play in it, its been sitting and going to sit in my driveway untill i get a new ujoint for it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode