Starting issue voltage on both sides of relay - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Exclamation Starting issue voltage on both sides of relay

Had a slow start issue with 1995 F250 7.3 turbo diesel. Batteries checked out fine, alternator failed, changed alternator. Still same issue, and starter failed test. Changed starter and starter relay, now battery acts dead. At starter relay and glow plug relay, I have 12.7 volts on one post and none on the 2nd post. If I have hood lifted, the factory hood light is lit. I can play the radio. When I try to crank engine, there is a loud click, hood light goes out and battery appears to be dead as a hammer. There is 12.7 volts on BOTH big posts of starter relay and glow plug relay now as well as 12.7 volts at starter. If I wait about 2 minutes, the hood light comes back on and there is only voltage on one of the posts again, instead of both. Also, when hood light goes out, entire fuse panel has almost no voltage (mV). Can it be a fusible link or wire going to PCM. Confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 02:42 AM
PSN Newb

Re: Starting issue voltage on both sides of relay

Check your ground terminals coming out of your batteries, had a similar issue and that was the problem for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the reply

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Where would the back feed of voltage to the second terminal come from. When it makes the click noise, voltage appears on second terminal and makes everything electrical on the truck go out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 04:09 AM
PSN Veteran

When the glow plug is energized you'll be sending voltage and a huge amount of amps to the glow plugs. This draw alone will kill a marginal battery or cause problems with a bad ground.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks so much to Bugman and Cortes977.3 for the info. Changed all battery terminals, took off grounds and wire brushed and sprayed with corrosion wash. Noticed very little corrosion. After cleaning up all grounds, truck acted exactly the same way. Noticed the grounds from both batteries went directly to engine ground and cable from engine ground to frame was 12G max, which surprised me. Went to AutoZone and connected 4G cable from engine ground directly to frame and it fixed it. Truck spins over super fast now. Wish I would've thought of this amazing site before buying a new starter, starter relay and alternator. At least I don't have to worry about them in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode