97 no power, no boost - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

97 no power, no boost

First time any major issues. 1997 7.3 f-350, running like a turd my sons says. Mods are only a cold air intake and 4" downpipe. Problem started with TPS code p0221, no throttle at all. Replaced that and now have throttle response but no boost, low power and still have a p0221 code. I have also replaced the CPS, new fuel filter, ebpv sensor. ebpv valve is in the open position. Turbo fins look good and spin freely with little play. Turbo sucking plenty of air but still no boost, very low power, very slow acceleration, shift points are off. I am getting white smoke when revving engine in park, when I put it in gear and hold the brake it don't want to perform at all, wants to lay down. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:09 AM
Project Shamu

Re: 97 no power, no boost

The TPS might be out of adjustment. You can slot the holes and rotate the TPS to adjust it, just do a quick search and you will see several guys have done it. It just involves a dremel tool (or something similar) and a multimeter to check voltage at the sensor. Took me about 15 minutes to do mine. Shift points could be thrown off with an out of adjustment sensor. Also, what brand TPS did you put in? Guys will tell you to ATLEAST buy a quality one, if not Motorcraft everytime. Other/cheaper sensors do not perform and the computer will freak out if it isn't getting a perfect signal.

You could also have some big exhaust leaks, and some boost leaks on top of that. Check the pre-turbo exhaust for any leaks, you'll see soot anywhere it leaks.

To check post turbo, intake leaks, you will need to create a boost-leak detector. Again, a quick search will come up with lots of guys on how they made one, or some places make and sell them, if you dont want to make one.

Report back with your findings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

The TPS sensor was a dormer, as far as I can tell looking over everything is no soot. We had to take the night off on the 97 and put 5th wheel rails in a 03. Could all of this be from the TPS sensor that I replaced and now I am just chasing something else because the pedal came back. If I am getting good voltage from the TPS, can I remove it from the pedal and use a screwdriver to turn the sensor. That way I could control the turn to see if repositioning would help.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 06:24 PM
PSN Veteran

You should be able to get a sense of the pedal position sensor in-frame. Key on, engine off, set your diagnostic tool to read pedal position %, and operate the pedal. Should range from 10-15% to 85-90%.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Project Shamu

Or if it's read in voltage, it will say I think between .5v to 4v. I think

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 380,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Terminator Nation

Some of the cheap scanners will read 100% at 3.5 volts like my truck did before I reworked the throttle assembly. The ideal voltage is 4.00 to 4.5 volts. Don't go over 4.5 volts or the PCM may revert back to idle state.

Also check the MAP hose, if pressure is bleeding off before the MAP sees the pressure then there will be no increasing enrichment with rising boost. Kills power.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Replaced the foot pedal assembly this weekend and now we are good with throttle again, still no boost and low power. I did take the vacuum hose off the map sensor and it does have a little bit of suction but not a lot. I do not have a scanner, but a friend of a friend does have one. I will double check the map sensor hose tonight to make sure of no leaks.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:39 PM
PSN Veteran

There should NOT be suction at the MAP sensor. That hose is bulk vacuum hose, but it's NOT a vacuum line. There should be pressure above atmospheric (boost) on that line. At idle, the pressure may be imperceptible, however.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Replaced the ICP sensor last night and we now have boost, still the truck is slow out of the gate with low power. Acceleration is just slow up to about 35-40 mph. Thanks for all the help, everything we have replaced that didn't help the boost still needed to be replaced. Truck is free of any codes. Keep the suggestions coming please.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode